Lets talk about goats!

Oh, well, I see I came in in the middle of the discussion. I agree with Diamond H.. :eek:)

I sent in a fecal for my goat, because of his big belly, and it came back with a 0 wormload.

Saved me the cost of worming.

that's the one I bought my vet charges me 10 per goat so not bad
I felt bad for him that's y I bought him he's in rough shape but doing better since I got him I bought the 2 goats she had to give them a better life I now have 4 rescuse goats all together

1cc per 20 lbs. IM or SubQ

Someone is wanting to give me this 9 year old goat practically for free because the goat gets picked on now. We got this picture and I'm not sure about the goat's hocks. What's going to be the impact of these funky hocks as the goat ages? Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
At nine it's getting pretty old already, I haven't seen that before, perhaps it's like arthritis.

Last edited:

Someone is wanting to give me this 9 year old goat practically for free because the goat gets picked on now. We got this picture and I'm not sure about the goat's hocks. What's going to be the impact of these funky hocks as the goat ages? Thanks!
smile.png
Well, at 9 he is already pretty well aged, isn't he? His back feet look weird, too. I would have a vet take a look at him if you are concerned or have other goats.....he could have something like CAE.

Hi I'm a new member to this website.. Looking for some help! I have 3 goats 2 Pygmy and 1 Nigerian all under 6 months old. The Nigerian seems to have a cold and I tried giving him extra vitamins and electrolytes in his water to help but over the last few weeks he seems to have only gotten worse. His symptoms are a runny nose with clear snot and a cough that sometimes looks like he's choking. Please help I don't know how to help him I'm a new goat owner!

Sounds more like pneumonia, treating with penicillin is the usual coarse of action, once a day in the muscle until symptoms disappear and than three days after. I personally will double the dose which is usually 1ml for 100#.

Hi I'm a new member to this website.. Looking for some help! I have 3 goats 2 Pygmy and 1 Nigerian all under 6 months old. The Nigerian seems to have a cold and I tried giving him extra vitamins and electrolytes in his water to help but over the last few weeks he seems to have only gotten worse. His symptoms are a runny nose with clear snot and a cough that sometimes looks like he's choking. Please help I don't know how to help him I'm a new goat owner!

If he's had it for a few weeks, I would be less inclined to think pneumonia. Has he progressively gotten worse or stayed about the same. What's his temp? What are his living arrangements? Is the hay dusty? What about wormer? When was the last time he's been wormed or had a fecal done? From your description, I would consider dusty conditions or maybe lung worm. (Need to get a special fecal done for that) If has an abnormal temp, then might consider pneumonia, but I'd start with biomycin, or naxcel as first choice before penicillin. If you listen to his breathing, what does it sound like? Quiet? Labored? Raspy? More info can help us. :)

If he's had it for a few weeks, I would be less inclined to think pneumonia. Has he progressively gotten worse or stayed about the same. What's his temp? What are his living arrangements? Is the hay dusty? What about wormer? When was the last time he's been wormed or had a fecal done? From your description, I would consider dusty conditions or maybe lung worm. (Need to get a special fecal done for that) If has an abnormal temp, then might consider pneumonia, but I'd start with biomycin, or naxcel as first choice before penicillin. If you listen to his breathing, what does it sound like? Quiet? Labored? Raspy? More info can help us. :)

He was wormed a couple months back.
Lives in a very nice shed.. Spend most of the day free roaming and his nights in a shed to keep him and friends safe and warm.
Brand new goat owner so excuse my incompetence but I have no idea what you mean by fecal done.

Back
Top Bottom