Lets talk about goats!

Yes, but it's doesn't happen often, considering how often goats butt each other, I did have one get a broken jaw, but that was once over many years of goat keeping. It sounds like you have two with horns and one without, that can be trouble sometimes as the one without can get bullied. We try to only keep dehorned now, we have had some success with using castration band for dehorning, otherwise a vet can do it under anesthesia.

Could putting tennis balls on the goats horns who is head butting help? Do you recommend?

I think tennis balls are to keep the sharp tips from being dangerous, but perhaps it could help, couldn't hurt, but I've never tried it, I have kept both together for many years, the ones with horns are always boss, just make sure to provide enough eating places for all and be prepared to see head butting, even with everyone dehorned it's just the nature of goats, they act like they dislike each other but go nuts without each other, I have never had a pygmy hurt another with the horns, though it can look like it sometimes, some larger goats were involved in my troubles.

Thank you fo
I think tennis balls are to keep the sharp tips from being dangerous, but perhaps it could help, couldn't hurt, but I've never tried it, I have kept both together for many years, the ones with horns are always boss, just make sure to provide enough eating places for all and be prepared to see head butting, even with everyone dehorned it's just the nature of goats, they act like they dislike each other but go nuts without each other, I have never had a pygmy hurt another with the horns, though it can look like it sometimes, some larger goats were involved in my troubles.
thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Good evening,
this is my first year for goats. We have 2 La Mancha females that we will be bred this month. I've read books on caring for goats starting before we even got them. I feel reading and actual hands on knowledge is completely different. Since we are about to breed them I have been reading more about caring for the girls while pregnant. However, I would like to know from those that have experience the actual care you give them. Everything from checking them for pregnancy to any kind of extra vitamins/minerals you might give them while they are pregnant.
I also would like to know how I should worm them while they are pregnant. Currently I use Molly's herbal dewormer #1 with the wormwood. I also use the #2 on the alternate weeks as per the directions. While they are pregnant should I stop using the #1 with the wormwood and only use the #2 or should I find another worming supplement?
Thank you for all your help, if you have suggestions for reading I would love to read some more good articles on real life experience.

They can be a pain and a lot of work. But one thing to remember they are animals. They can do most of the taking care of themselves. Some books and some people on here are ridicules on ways to take care of just a few animals such as some1 who raises many, many head for a sole living. I haven't tried that wormer, or used a continuous wormer like that. I try to worm the chickens, horses, goats, and dogs at least quarterly or every season. Spring summer etc. It helps me remember when I've done it. Horses twice a season, but I take them to a lot of other places. I also have many wild animals spreading the worms back on to my property.

I borrowed a buck to breed the girls and my goodness he stinks to high heaven, lol. Being my first season I was able to figure out when the girls were going into heat but wouldn't be able to get to the buck in time because of the owners schedule and my schedule. Since he wasn't using EverReady this season he loaned him to me.
Other than hay do you feed anything to a Buck? I know not to feed alfalfa and took the girls out of the pen to feed them some of the alfalfa hay they are used to. For the buck I brought back a bail of hay from the owner to keep from messing up his rumen but I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do for him while he's here? I shouldn't have him longer than a couple weeks.
thank you,

I wouldn't give him anything extra, it isn't worth causing digestive trouble as you mentioned, best only to feed what the owner gave you or told you they feed. And they do stink pretty bad, but I do enjoy their snorts, spits, and vocalizations.

You need to feed him what he is used to. If he is not accustomed to grain and/or alfalfa, feeding it to him may make him sick. BTW, I had a commercial goat dairy for many years. I fed my bucks almost exclusively alfalfa hay. They got grain during the breeding season. My neighbors who have dairies feed their bucks the same way.

Morning y'all! I'm reading my way through this thread and learning so much! But I'm getting impatient with myself, so now I'm jumping right in.

DH and I run a summer camp in south western Louisiana. We're on a 5-year plan for a farm program here. Last year we put in a garden and a small chicken tractor. This year we are getting a nice big coop! Too big, apparently... DH wants to add in another animal, and I chose goats. Here it our setup:

This is the backside of the building. Chickens will coop on the left side, and goats on the right. The middle section is a breezeway and viewing platform. Each housing section is 6'x12'. Is that enough barn space? We were already fencing pasture for the chickens, so the goats will just bounce along. I will have the feed either in the coop or in an enclosed porch area, so no goat access.

DH wants pygmies. Would this be the best breed for a camp program? We want pets, first (not meat or milk), and DH wants them tiny. Do wethers make the best pets?

I'm nervous about having adequate shelter, and friendly enough goats, more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom