Lets talk about goats!

@waddles99 I don't think you can go wrong with alfalfa. I raise dairy goats, and high production at that, so high protein is important so the girls can make milk; I feed alfalfa pellets along with hay. I also feed some plain rolled oats, barley and black oil sunflower seed. May add some corn this year as well. But the main diet is alfalfa pellets because they are very consistent and I can easily get them year-round plus they are easy to haul and store.

Now I DO show my goats but do not really vary from my normal diet: Alfalfa pellets, good hay, plain rolled oats and barley and BOSS. In order of amount going from most to least.

I have always said the magical ingredient in animal care is food. Unfortunately a lot of people got the idea that goats can literally eat junk, and will actually put them in a real junk yard filled with junk and then be astonished when the poor goat starves to death. I know you are all rolling your eyes just like me at this very thought. You guys have probably seen this too. I knew a vet who got called on to do a necropsy on a goat that had been in a junk yard. The poor thing had taken to eating baling twine because it at least *smelled* like hay and then starved to death. The owner was shocked, the rest of us were just incredulous that someone could be so out of touch, but there is this strong idea that goats can eat "anything" while all of US know they are the pickiest animal on the farm!!!

Sorry for the rant. Anyway I do think alfalfa is a very good food for goats and our local feed mill always has good prices. Last time I bought a ton of alfalfa pellets, it cost me $300.00 flat! I think that's a terrific price for the results I get.

Does anyone have any experience using cattle protein tubs for goats? I want to use one as some supplemental protein but cant find anything on using them with goats. I know you cant use them with sheep because of copper but nothing was said about goats.

I have fed them. They work well but be sure you get the kind that does NOT have urea. Read the label.

@waddles99 I don't think you can go wrong with alfalfa. I raise dairy goats, and high production at that, so high protein is important so the girls can make milk; I feed alfalfa pellets along with hay. I also feed some plain rolled oats, barley and black oil sunflower seed. May add some corn this year as well. But the main diet is alfalfa pellets because they are very consistent and I can easily get them year-round plus they are easy to haul and store.

Now I DO show my goats but do not really vary from my normal diet: Alfalfa pellets, good hay, plain rolled oats and barley and BOSS. In order of amount going from most to least.

I have always said the magical ingredient in animal care is food. Unfortunately a lot of people got the idea that goats can literally eat junk, and will actually put them in a real junk yard filled with junk and then be astonished when the poor goat starves to death. I know you are all rolling your eyes just like me at this very thought. You guys have probably seen this too. I knew a vet who got called on to do a necropsy on a goat that had been in a junk yard. The poor thing had taken to eating baling twine because it at least *smelled* like hay and then starved to death. The owner was shocked, the rest of us were just incredulous that someone could be so out of touch, but there is this strong idea that goats can eat "anything" while all of US know they are the pickiest animal on the farm!!!

Sorry for the rant. Anyway I do think alfalfa is a very good food for goats and our local feed mill always has good prices. Last time I bought a ton of alfalfa pellets, it cost me $300.00 flat! I think that's a terrific price for the results I get.

I'll give alfalfa pellets a consideration. I might just mix them in with the Dumor ration. I dont think alfalfa is a complete diet.

We finally built a shelter for my Billy and just moved the females shelter in their pen so yea
1f604.png

Now we just have to work on the horse shelter
1f914.png

Well, good news. I think I am able to feed a supplement in with the DuMor. Im thinking of either high octane champion drive or calf manna. Calf manna is cheaper but champion drive is a specialized muscle growing supplement with a lot higher protein.

Back
Top Bottom