Lets talk about goats!

@haileybass you are looking at the wrong part.
big_smile.png
Goats have a rumen that can get actually really big. Looking at their stomachs (like you would with people) is not actually all that reliable, because of the rumen. In addition, right before they give birth, the kids "drop" (get ready to be born) and when that happens the goat can look really slender, and sometimes people panic and think she's not pregnant. You need to be checking her teats, and seeing if she is developing an udder. That's the part that will be the most reliable.

Sounds to me like there is a very good chance your goat is pregnant, if she was with a buck that long. If so, she should have really cute kids!

I should have. I spent 5mo staring at the magic 8 butt wondering and in frustration said the heck with it all. The kids were inly about 4mo at the time and was still really wide. After going into heat, its as if she shrank. Shes an old girl with a rumen like a barrel. I think the guy we got her from might go in for that, never really thought about it... he seemed like a reasonable guy.

Wasn't that it isn't possible, just that it didn't happen. We got her in early June, and she was supposedly one to two months along. By August I was pretty sure she wasn't, but her heat was so loud and obnoxious that for a second I asked, was she actually in early labor? But the months were so far off there was no way. By October I had stopped butt watching. She came in in early November. The kids were about 4-5mo when we got them and she reeked of buck when we got her, but no dice. She's not particularly friendly towards other goats, even in heat. Just loud and gross. She favors her Oberhasli, wide forehead, little lion tail, dairy for miles, she looks like she used to be something pretty special before time got her, chamois pattern, but long eared - she's mixed with something smaller, she's only a bout 6" taller than my other girls(boer/nigi), but her horns are serious business and she knows how to use them. Her last kids were born around February/March - so she might be seasonal rather than year round, which would make her being bred in March/April/May an almost unreasonable idea. No heats all summer, really obnoxious one in November as soon as we got our first cold snap and we'll see what December brings. I think it was just a mostly honest mistake. The person who had her before us hadn't had her long enough to really know. She came from auction before that. I was also hard up for building my herd at the time, I had just lost my little big boy, and was trying to figure out what the new herd plan was going to look like, so I think it showed that I was a buyer if herd building was likely and my enthusiasm became the sellers enthusiasm.

Sadly my minis are not getting it together. The girls, sugar and spice are three this year and still not showing any signs of cycling, let alone getting predictable about it. We'll have a random couple days where one of them will come in, but my great hope girl, little miss perfect refuses to show any signs of it, and baby boo, the tiny little boy goat with great big spots, at almost a year is showing no signs of coming into rut. No smell, just clean baby smell. Lap goat. The girls treat him like a baby. My mini boys have always taken longer to even begin to mature though. Our last boy - we lost to toxemia, didn't even start smelling or acting bucky till about two. Sweetest boy ever, just not so eager to try to tame the girls. I may have to separate the twins to get them bred. They are too territorial of each other. One brain, two bodies. I don't know where everyone is finding these randy four month old goats. I've got two boys right now, one almost one, and one at roughly ten months, and neither of them have any interest. No phlemen, no smell, no mounting, NOTHING! With everything I read about how bucks are supposed to be gross ol breeding machines practicing from as soon as they can walk... there is apparently something wrong with the grass at my farm lol. No interest.

Our 80% goat is also an ooooolld lady goat, about eight, had been bred nearly to death when we got her. Has all her big girl teeth and they've got wear. She's a boss lady, so she has to be in with only her family, otherwise her and my other boss girl go at it endlessly. Right now they just have their morning ritual pound out through the fence, half hearted, but every day while they wait for feed time. She was all bones, so she was a fixer upper who was on her way to slaughter auction to begin with when we got her. She had been on oat hay pellets and oat hay, only while lactating, an auction turn around, so we had to put some money into feeding her back up. Alfalfa, manna, cob, and forage and weaning the kids in addition to the regular grass hay we give. She hadn't had mineral as far as I can tell where she was, and green forage is so far outside of her understanding that she'd starve in burgeoning grass field. She was in entirely lot style/ auction style pens, no forage. We've gotten the wiry off of her coat, she's got a monster rumen, she's in decent condition now if not good, aside from not cooperating with the seasonal feed changes. She wants dry hay and brush only. Wants nothing to do with the forage grass. I've had to start rotating pastures to keep her side from growing up out of control. After she went back into heat I wormed her, I had held off on her when I did everyone else cause I wasn't sure. Everyone else is due as well, probably tomorrow, and feet, but I have to go pick up wormer. Have to get feed anyways.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom