Lets talk about goats!

Hey all. Hope everyone is well and you wonderful goat people can help me out. I have two issues and my very has been gone for almost a week. I have a 1 1/2 year old female showing what I thought at first were signs of thiamine deficiency. I have the rx here and have been treating her as well as the penicillin treatment incase it was the other. She's not improving or getting worse. She's eating and foraging, moving and poop is normal but she's moving sideways and her back legs aren't working correctly. Given minerals and selenium and nutridrench. I'm at a loss. If it was the normal issues I thought she'd be dead by now but she's still up every morning and up and about all day. She hurt her front leg a few weeks ago and wasn't moving much but she healed up.
The other is a young weather that got into grain shes a couple times before I realized I believe. Went listless yesterday and watching today I don't think he can pee easily. I'll be at co op first thing tomorrow to get Ammonium chloride tomorrow but I want to make sure it won't hurt him if its something else. He was still doing okay tonight but if it is calcium issues I know I'm running out of time and should have had it here already. Vet will be back in a few days but until then I don't know what to do. Bad week witb goats!

Do you have any thiamine? Do you have BoSe? A loose mineral containing selenium may not be sufficient to treat/prevent white muscle and if it is polio, you really need thiamine. The B vitamin complexes do not have enough thiamine but they are better than nothing. As for the goat that got into the grain, is he current on CD/T? Is he eating normally? If he seems off, an anti acid like pepto bsimol would help and a course of penicilling would be a good idea too. These will help with issues caused by grain overload, but not urinary calculi.

And the one in the grain isn't really eating. He came out when I put out some fresh hay for a little nibble. What is cd/t? I started him on the a chloride today. Have him a does of b vitamins and I can start penicillin

And the one in the grain isn't really eating. He came out when I put out some fresh hay for a little nibble. What is cd/t? I started him on the a chloride today. Have him a does of b vitamins and I can start penicillin
CD/T is the vaccine to prevent tetanus and enterotoxemia. It stands for clostridium perfingens and tetanus. All goats should receive it. Entero is sudden and deadly. The one who ate too much grain is probably suffering from indigestion and acidosis from the excess grain. An anti acid will help. If he has entero, at this point there is not much that can be done. A dose of clostridium perfingens would help. I suggested penicillin because it is effective against clostridia.

I don't know much about it, but do you live in an area where meningeal (sp) worm is a problem? It is a parasite carried by deer and it affects the nervous system causing paralyses and other symptoms.

Little guy that got into grain is doing better now. Was already trying to break back into the feed. I'm looking into the worm. It really looks like its something with her back legs. Hoping to get her in tomorrow. Nothing I've done is working. I didnt give her wormer right when it started.

Apparently it is located in my area. She doesn't have all the symptoms but she does have some. The wormer I gave her wouldn't have helped but I do have the kind here that would help.

Just to see if my reasoning is correct. At the very beginning I thought polio right away but the only symptom is the back legs weakness and walking sideways. She's not depressed shes eating drinking and pooping fine. She's not having eyesight issues or aimlessly wandering. And she's not pressing her head against anything. Added to the fact that thiamine rx didnt help at all. So probably not polio right? And it's been a bit now and she's not getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom