Letting a hen hatch in winter yay or nay?

I'm always loathe to break a broody, but I would do it if I had one this early, and my climate is much more forgiving than yours. I think the stress on ME would be too much
roll.png
. I'd wait a month or so, then see if I could bait the nest and tempt her to go broody again.

Lots of people do it, and I'm certainly not going to tell you not to.  But may I ask you to read the story of Scout before you make a final decision?  He is the entire reason that if I have a broody in the colder months I will not let her hatch out eggs.  In fact, his mom, Agatha, just came out of the broody busting box - again!  Stoopid Easter Egger didn't read the book that said they aren't good as broodies - she's been broody 4 times and she's not even 2 years old yet.  :he

If you do decide to do it, make sure she's truly stick-to-that-nest-no-matter-what-else-is-happening broody. Most folks let them sit on the golf balls or fake eggs for a few days to decide how determined she is to stick it out.  The one thing in your post that struck me was when you said that you'd be willing to bring the chicks in and raise them in a brooder, but then you also said you'd love to let them hatch eggs so you didn't have to do any work.  Seems to me if you let her hatch eggs, then bring them in, isn't that kinda taking the work from her and making more for you?  ;)

Scout's Story

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbitten-feet-the-adventures-of-scout

And I am bawling!!! I will have to be extra careful. I do have a spot I can lock her in with the chick/chicks to prevent them from getting too far away. And I only would have brought the chicks in if that os what I needed to do in this weather. I have a big dog crate I could havw put her i. With the chicks. I am going to watch her awe if she is stull there in the morning. i may even sneak out here in a bit and take a gander. My Easter eggers have zero desire to be broody but this one is a Jersey Giant and I have read they are known to go broody and decent mothers. I guess we will have to wait and see what she does. Funny part I pick up 14 chicks on Wednesday. 8 Pearls and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes. Can never have enough chickens though!

Frost bite toes is not a problem I normally associate with rearing chicks during the dead of winter. What I watch for is chicks being lost outright to hypothermia which is easy to prevent by keeping them on dry ground and not letting them get separated from their mother. A more likely issue is slowed growth where chicks and hen have conflict between staying warm and getting enough to eat. The chicks so challenged must divert more food intake to staying warm rather than growing. The hen has a harder time keeping her weight which increase of odds she will abort her broody cycle, Another problem comes with the quality of feathering and growth of body frame. I am concerned about adult performance where less than optimal conditions during the chick and juvenile stages impacts their alter development.

I had a broody hatch in Feb last year.....it was brutal, frigid cold most the time, but luckily hatch day was a thaw day, then it got cold again.
Water was a big issue, had me trotting out with water and/or soaked feed 3-4-5 times a day.

It worked out OK, but I don't think I'd do it again. I do think there was some foot damage from the cold.
Here's that story: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/947046/broody-in-michigan-winter

There are other things to think about when letting a broody hatch:
What to do with cockerels, to separate broody from flock or not-pros and cons, how to integrate chicks and broody into flock......and others.
Here's good thread about broody hens:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

Well hubby and I decided to let her give it a try. We figure we get wnough eggs that we don't mind sacraficing a few to see what she does. We kept the pullet eggs and gave her the rest of the ones we got. Gave her a total of 6. 2 EE And 4 JG. Hopefully it all works out. This is our (and her) first time trying to hatch. This should be fun! I have a heated wAterer in there and the feeders. The nesting box she chose is closest to the feeders and waterer. Today she got off got a drink and ate then was back in there within ten mins. Wish us luck!

Last edited:
She is in a nesting box. The feeder is 3 feet crom the nesting box she chose and the wAterer is 4ft.

She is in the box next to the one in the pic.

Waterer is under that corner of the roosts.

Finnaly that is the "jail" I may put them in once they hatch to keep the others from picking on the chicks... Hope you enjoyed the mini tour of my coop. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom