Letting a hen hatch in winter yay or nay?

Here's our broody girl! She doesn't have a name. All of the Gianta look the same lol.
Her name is now Broody Mama!
She'll protect the chicks from the others, no need to put them in 'jail'.
They will need a lower feed/water area, possibly fenced off from the flock with small openings only the chicks can get thru.

Did you mark the eggs under her...so you can remove any others that may get laid in her nest?

I did not. How should I mark them? My girls are not good sharers. Any tome someone else tries to get in with another they chase each other off. Except my ISAs they will stack 3 in one box lol.

Your setup is where winter may be close to not relevant I assumed she was in a wind blown barn or coop. Your challenge will be cocci if that.

I'm a clean freak. I read up on the diseases and do as much as I cam to prevent them. I know there is only so much I can do but I do it. Luckily for me I am a SAHM and have the time to give them.

I did not. How should I mark them? My girls are not good sharers. Any tome someone else tries to get in with another they chase each other off. Except my ISAs they will stack 3 in one box lol.
Heavy pencil or sharpie line all the way around egg for ease of seeing them,
check every day to be sure no other eggs are in there, remove them if there are.
She may not let anyone else in, but she might, best to keep an eye at least at first, to avoid a staggered hatch or too many eggs for hen to cover.

I never thought my hens shared nests either, until one day I was out there working on something for an extended time and saw that in fact many did share nests to lay.

Update. I marked the eggs and so far no new eggs have showed up. 1 got cracked so she is down to 9. After candling tonight (day 5) I can see the veining on 8/9. One is a darker shell and hard to see in. I think I see a dot in the center but not sure. I will check again monday. Looks like my roosterhas been a busy boy though!

Another update! Day ten and momma hen is going strong! Unfortunately since I have darkger eggs all I can see now is black masses. :( i can clearly see the air sac arill and some around the babies but other than ghat just masses. I do think one may be a quitter buf I am going to wait it out a few more days and double check. This is my first time candling so hopefully I am doing it right :)

All dark is good, better than clear. Now it's just waiting to see what hatches. Excited for you.

Oh good! I have a question. My rooster is a Jersey Giant but some eggs are from Easter Eggers and some from Giant hens. Am I going to end up with a scattered hatch? If so will she stay there and finish hatching them?

Back
Top Bottom