LGD-where to kennel/sleep?

ok, and before i study what you gave me this time, let me go back.

How do I correct when putting the paw up on a leg, or jumping? What is the best way? With a loud "aaant" "leave it" "down"? I know I don't hit ... do I do alpha roll when they jump, paw, etc?

(Thora always did that and it always drove me crazy because it hurts and she would do it to the little kids when they laid by her outside, as if to claim them. But it hurt them)

I do the stern voice and a light jab with my finger tips in the neck or flank when they do it. If they persist, I grasp the paw and give a squeeze until the dog pulls it away. I never allow the first jump...anticipate it and block it, giving a stern correction and a jab(bite) to the flank or neck. If you have the slip leash applied, you can also do the sideways jerk and release, accompanied by the stern voice.

Follow through and be consistent....never miss a chance to correct it and practice will make perfect. The biggest problem I have with that is when my kids or visitors come and invite the dog to put their paws up on their legs or even to jump up...they seem to think this is cute in puppies for some reason.
roll.png
Then all the training gets derailed, so if you want this to work you'll have to stress to everyone that this is NOT allowed, no matter what. Head pats, back pets and all of that, but no jumping up for affection. I STILL have family that persist in encouraging this grown dog to get excited when they arrive and then they reward that behavior, all the while I'm telling them the dog is not allowed to greet people that way.
smack.gif

If you keep them in a kennel or stall of the barn for the first week or so, I'd not open the door of that until they've stopped jumping and moving about...when they are calmly standing or sitting, then I'd open the door...if this starts them to bouncing again, shut it and wait again. Repeat until they realize they don't get to go out until they are calm. Then, when you leave that area, the same thing...calm posture only and you lead the way, no rushing out the doorway to be allowed. This will set the tone for your training that day.

Won't be long after these things are established that you can incorporate all their training into your chore time, as you go about other chores you can train them along the way.

Last edited:
And, as puppies do I feed them together, or separately?

Once you get the feeding routine established in the individual training sessions, there's no reason not to feed them together. Just give them what I call "dog" space between their pans so they don't have a reason to feel threatened or aggressive while they eat. For my dogs that seems to be about 3-4 ft. apart.

Well, he seems depressed a little. =/ Been crying and upset about the pen. We did some sitting with the chickens and he was much happier with them near (I guess that's because he is used to them).

On the lead- he hates it. (as to be expected) But he doesn't fight about it, he just sits and tucks his head down, liek he is pouting. (which the breeder said his dad is a big pouter). What should I do to get him used to the lead?

(and anything else you can think of is welcome!)

Well, he seems depressed a little. =/ Been crying and upset about the pen. We did some sitting with the chickens and he was much happier with them near (I guess that's because he is used to them).

On the lead- he hates it. (as to be expected) But he doesn't fight about it, he just sits and tucks his head down, liek he is pouting. (which the breeder said his dad is a big pouter). What should I do to get him used to the lead?

(and anything else you can think of is welcome!)

Associate good things with the lead....little tidbits of good food, even just little pieces of his own dog food. The lead won't last forever but he should associate good things with the lead, like added affection, good things to eat, places to go outside his own pen. Use the baby voice when you bring it out and put it on him, giving plenty of sweet affection and little bits of food each time. He'll start to anticipate it if he's anything like a normal dog. Training time should be a fun time too, so keep it light and brief, geared to his attention span.

No worries...this time won't last forever, they learn quickly if you are consistent and then he'll soon have a companion in the pen with him to keep him from feeling lonely. That second dog makes all the world of difference in their lives.

Remember to not make it all about work....every day should encompass some free time where he gets to explore, run, sniff under supervision and follow you around as you tend to chores, on or off the lead, depending on how confident you are that he will come when you call. That's even a good time to work on coming when you call, giving him a reward each time. That's usually how my dogs are taught to come, when we are just out together playing and spending time.

ok, cool. I am going to put treats in my pocket for training. He doesn't really want much to do with us as people, and I def cannot trust him to come yet. He is very skittish around us thus far, he was a lot more confident with his parents. hopefully that will change as he bonds and gets used to us.

He has seen and heard my springer spaniel and wants desperately to see her. We (oldest 3 kids, house dog, and me/hubby if hes home) are going to do daily family fun time in the evenings when I put baby down for nap. Just romping and playing in the front field.

Thank you for all your help! I am sure I will be back for more guidance. =)

Yep ... one more thing. He is freaking out tonight! I put hay in his pen, in his lean-to style shelter we built. He is just totally wiggling out. Same place he was all day, I am sure the dark is scary and everything is new. What can I do for him? Or doesn't he just have to get used to it? (I second guess myself on everything because these dogs are so different than many breeds, I don't know what to do?! Haha)

Would it be better to have him in a kennel w hay, in his pen until his companion comes? Pros/cons to that?

Yep ... one more thing. He is freaking out tonight! I put hay in his pen, in his lean-to style shelter we built. He is just totally wiggling out. Same place he was all day, I am sure the dark is scary and everything is new. What can I do for him? Or doesn't he just have to get used to it? (I second guess myself on everything because these dogs are so different than many breeds, I don't know what to do?! Haha)

Would it be better to have him in a kennel w hay, in his pen until his companion comes? Pros/cons to that?

Isn't his pen a kennel or attached to a kennel? Without being able to see what you are seeing, it's very hard to understand why one place would be different from another if he's just having trouble being alone. If this is his first experience away from home and his mother and sibs, it's going to be hard on him no matter where he sleeps...even if he was in a crate in the house, it's likely he'd be crying all night.

Since he's kind of leery of humans, a radio playing for him would likely not help. You could try going out and assuring him, sitting with him and soothing him, but it's likely as soon as you left he'd start barking and crying again. If you or one of your kids have bonded with him any, you could leave an article of clothing out there, but I'm not sure how much that would help.

It could be he'll just have to work through it until his working partner arrives and that should help tremendously.

Ok, that makes sense.

We divided off part of the chicken run for his pen, by using a gate across the width of the run. I was just thinking a large dog crate/travel kennel (which we have) inside his pen would feel safe, smaller, less exposed and more secure for him at night. But I have no idea...

He will just have to get things figured out I suppose.

He did do better at his 5om play time! We Put the lead in him, ran and played, introduced the house dog to him, he ran all around, pottied. Got treats for coming over to me some, etc. then we fed him and took turns one by one, taking up his bowl, and making him wait until we put it down. He did good! He did want to block us a little, but I think with practice he will be okay

Than you again!

Putting him in the crate in your kennel just may help him feel more protected...you could try that. It may or may not help but it's definitely worth a try. Who knows what will make a pup feel better when he's missing his mama and siblings? Usually only having another of his kind will help. Most people who keep them in the house give in to the whining and yelping and put the pup in the bed with them, which may seem right at the time but may present problems later on...just like with our own babies.
lol.png

I hope you figure out how to help him. My pup cried a bit in his first week in the pen but the older dog was right outside his pen and that helped him...as soon as I walked away and he could no longer see me, he'd stop yelping. As soon as you get your other pup, I think your troubles with all of that will go away.

great, thank you!

During the day, I let the chickens out to range and he goes CRAZY! Let a few back in with him, and he lays down happily. I think he feels comfortable with his chickens, since he had them at his old house. haha (but i can see him to be sure there is no playing with them and he is getting lots of exercise. He is already doing better on the lead today)

Back
Top Bottom