LGDs

pipnchirp

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2016
USA NC
Does anyone know the best way to go about getting a LGD? I'm fond of the great pyrenees and I'm open to adopting.

The main predator for me is coyotes. Any and all advice welcome.

Contact people in your area that have experience using Great Pyrenees as stock guardians. Make certain that your list of contacts includes keepers of poultry. The Lives Stock Conservancy would be a good start.

http://livestockconservancy.org/?gclid=CP-X0LSg6dACFQW1wAodZRABHA

More likely than not, the chain of ownership that is dog centric only will not have the experience you are looking for, hence the dogs are being re-homed.

I found a local chicken keeper with great pyrenees that has 1 maybe 2 litters a year, the pups imprint on the chickens at a young age and mom and dad are one site as well working with the chickens. Rescue groups I found have either house dogs or dogs that I wouldn't personally trust with poultry.
Thank you everyone for the help :)

I found a local chicken keeper with great pyrenees that has 1 maybe 2 litters a year, the pups imprint on the chickens at a young age and mom and dad are one site as well working with the chickens. Rescue groups I found have either house dogs or dogs that I wouldn't personally trust with poultry.
Thank you everyone for the help
smile.png
Do read up on training before committing....it can take up to 2 years before dog can be trusted totally alone with any livestock.
There are many types of LGD's and some may not fit your situation...some need more room/land than others.
Pyrenees can be excessive barkers...there's lots of things to consider before choosing the right dog for job you need done.
Those rescue groups are often full of LGD's that were purchased without enough thought to fit and training.

Thank you everyone for the help :)

You can make the chicken killers and house dogs work. The bottleneck will be sound advice getting dogs to guard area rather than mobile herd. Using them to guard poultry will be outside what they were selected for.

The imprinting on birds as pups will not quite get you past chicken killing. If that is assumption, then keep us posted so we see how you approach it, ideally without discarding dog.

I know it takes a while and boat loads of training. I personally Don't believe it's right to toss a dog away especially without seeking help from experienced keepers. Barking I don't really see as an issue being out in the country but I'm taking it into consideration. And containment with anything is a must.

I didn't think the old collies were a LGD breed?

I should make this known that I DO have some experience with lgds around horses and chickens. And just because I haven't found a rescue dog that fits with me yet doesn't mean I'm not still poking around looking for one. Or that it will be pure. I'm also not new to dog ownership or training out the chase/hunt tendency of a dog. Plus I'm not shy about asking for help :) thank you all for being concerned and trying to make sure that more dogs end up in shelters because of lack of information. The dog and chicken population thanks you.

Back
Top Bottom