little coop question

ChristieDB

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
Statesboro, Georgia
Screenshot_20180425-134848_Chrome.jpg

We purchased the above "starter" coop this year and have six girls living in it happily.. We plan to build a walk in coop for next spring before adding more chickens.

This coop sits inside our very secure chicken run we build (12x20). My question is what do y'all with similar coops do on the inside?

We've been doing a thin layer of sand then pine shavings, but this is a mess. Is there a better way? They have been copping themselves up every night at dark (around 8:15p) and then we close it up and let them back out at daybreak (around 6am). We keep water in there at all times but I haven't been putting food in because it is so dark, and they really are sleeping. Their food gets hung up each morning in the run when I let them out for the day. I say that because I wanted to be sure that you knew it's not food making it a mess.

Would love ideas and suggestions

Here’s the best bedding material you can use

Straw and Hay
Sun-colored straw, with its sweet, earthy smell and springy texture is what many new chicken keepers reach for to line their coop and nest boxes.

2. Pine Shavings
A popular and prudent choice for litter is pine shavings, found at many feed-supply stores, big-box stores and even pet-supply stores. Pine shavings dry fast, are inexpensive and don’t break down quickly, making them an ideal bedding material. The mild pine scent is inviting, though it does fade over time.

3. Cedar Shavings
Speaking of a pleasant aroma (and that’s a rare topic indeed where chickens are concerned!), an alternative to pine shavings is cedar shavings. There’s much debate as to the strong aromatic nature of cedar shavings and their effects on chickens’ delicate respiratory systems, and it seems the jury is still out. To play it safe, I recommend avoiding the use of cedar shavings with very young chicks confined to a brooder.

However, many chicken keepers have used cedar shavings with success in their coops with adult flocks, so long as the birds have other areas to inhabit besides the coop. If you opt for cedar shavings, they’re easy to find at pet-supply stores but are a little more expensive than pine; they do really smell great and work as a natural insect-repellent.

4. Sand
Sand, when used as coop bedding, is an excellent and very clean choice for those who have the time to devote to it. While expensive initially, compared to the alternatives listed here, sand as bedding in the coop need only be replaced once or twice a year if diligently cleaned and contained.

Sand dries very quickly and can be turned over with a rake to employ the deep-litter method (discussed below) or scooped with a cat litter scooper when used in small coops. Sand is the flooring material of choice for outdoor runs that are exposed to the elements frequently: It doesn’t break down, it dries fast and it doubles as a great material for dust baths. Your chickens will love it, as mine do. Be sure to use builder’s sand (found at home-improvement stores), as sandbox sand is too fine and tends to clump.

5. Grass Clippings
If you have enough, grass clippings are one viable coop bedding option, but they have a few disadvantages. Clippings tend to retain moisture and break down quickly. They also dry, shrink and smell. If you opt for grass clippings in the coop, be sure they come from a yard that hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides, fungicides, herbicides or other chemicals. Chickens will pick at anything and everything in their coop–bedding is no exception, especially if there are bugs in it!

6. Shredded Leaves
This is an option if the leaves are finely shredded so they dry quickly. Whole leaves take a long time to break down and are susceptible to harboring moisture, sticking together and matting. Wet leaves make a slippery surface that could lead to splayed legs or bumblefoot, especially in younger, growing birds.

7. Recycled Paper
A host of reclaimed and recycled manmade materials, such as shredded newspaper or shredded office paper, are options. While they are free, use them with caution. Ink can be toxic to chickens, and office paper is heavily processed and treated. Glossy paper—the kind found in magazines and fliers—also contains a large amount of ink and can create a matted and/or slippery surface.

I have a 4x4
I bought “maxi garden trays”
From greenhousemegastore.com
Then reordered from Amazon when they became available there.
Three of them side by side fit perfectly. $8.50 each. They are thick and I’m sure will last for YEARS.
Pull them out, dump the shavings, a sprinkle of sweet PDZ (a horse stall refresher that neutralizes ammonia and does an awesome side job of keeping poop from sticking) then I dump this weeks nest box shavings which are still clean in the trays and refill the nest boxes with fresh shavings.
Boom. Done.
Total cleaning time 5 minutes max even if I’m talking on the phone and doing it one handed.
Sort of a modified poop board but on the floor.
Dh modified my roost too so I t pops up and out for easy cleaning.
I think there are pictures on my coop page. If not dm me and I’ll send you some.

I currently have this coop and have had it since October. We just built a new one for them, so they won't be using this prefab much longer.
I have 4 chickens in it. I really think that is the max you want with this coop especially if they are full sized birds and you want them to roost on the bars. Mine do not always roost on the bars as the bars are too small. I know some who have this coop modified the inside to have a larger roost bar to go across the inside at an angle. When they don't roost on the bar, they get poopy butts (one of many reasons that I wanted a new coop).
I use pine shavings and a little pdz. I have a kitty litter scoop and scoop out poos every day. I don't use the droppings tray - I mean like to open it because the shavings would bunch up. But, it is easy enough to clean through the side door. I don't even use the nest box to get eggs - I just reach in through the side door. I only use the nest box door when it is time to deep clean. It stays fairly clean this way.
As well, in order to have enough ventilation, I had to put plastic over the vent area to keep the rain and snow out because there is no overhang. It is only taped at the top, so it still allows air flow.
I use shavings in the run too. Also, we built a run extension out of lattice and hw cloth. It is like a mini hoop coop. The attached run is not even close enough to the recommended 10 sq ft per bird, so with 6, you definitely want to expand that if they are staying in there any length of time. My chickens also have a 16x16 open run that they are allowed out in when I am out there. I am currently working on modifying it so that they can use it at all times with their new coop. Hopefully, they will be moved in this weekend or early next week!

There is a thread where a byc member made quite a few modifications to this exact coop. I think I found it by searching for tsc coop or tsc prefab coop. Good luck! :frow
I would start thinking about a new build sooner than later as your hens will appreciate more room. ;)

Here’s the best bedding material you can use

Thanks for this.. Learning and this really helped....

Straw and Hay
Sun-colored straw, with its sweet, earthy smell and springy texture is what many new chicken keepers reach for to line their coop and nest boxes.

2. Pine Shavings
A popular and prudent choice for litter is pine shavings, found at many feed-supply stores, big-box stores and even pet-supply stores. Pine shavings dry fast, are inexpensive and don’t break down quickly, making them an ideal bedding material. The mild pine scent is inviting, though it does fade over time.

3. Cedar Shavings
Speaking of a pleasant aroma (and that’s a rare topic indeed where chickens are concerned!), an alternative to pine shavings is cedar shavings. There’s much debate as to the strong aromatic nature of cedar shavings and their effects on chickens’ delicate respiratory systems, and it seems the jury is still out. To play it safe, I recommend avoiding the use of cedar shavings with very young chicks confined to a brooder.

However, many chicken keepers have used cedar shavings with success in their coops with adult flocks, so long as the birds have other areas to inhabit besides the coop. If you opt for cedar shavings, they’re easy to find at pet-supply stores but are a little more expensive than pine; they do really smell great and work as a natural insect-repellent.

4. Sand
Sand, when used as coop bedding, is an excellent and very clean choice for those who have the time to devote to it. While expensive initially, compared to the alternatives listed here, sand as bedding in the coop need only be replaced once or twice a year if diligently cleaned and contained.

Sand dries very quickly and can be turned over with a rake to employ the deep-litter method (discussed below) or scooped with a cat litter scooper when used in small coops. Sand is the flooring material of choice for outdoor runs that are exposed to the elements frequently: It doesn’t break down, it dries fast and it doubles as a great material for dust baths. Your chickens will love it, as mine do. Be sure to use builder’s sand (found at home-improvement stores), as sandbox sand is too fine and tends to clump.

5. Grass Clippings
If you have enough, grass clippings are one viable coop bedding option, but they have a few disadvantages. Clippings tend to retain moisture and break down quickly. They also dry, shrink and smell. If you opt for grass clippings in the coop, be sure they come from a yard that hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides, fungicides, herbicides or other chemicals. Chickens will pick at anything and everything in their coop–bedding is no exception, especially if there are bugs in it!

6. Shredded Leaves
This is an option if the leaves are finely shredded so they dry quickly. Whole leaves take a long time to break down and are susceptible to harboring moisture, sticking together and matting. Wet leaves make a slippery surface that could lead to splayed legs or bumblefoot, especially in younger, growing birds.

7. Recycled Paper
A host of reclaimed and recycled manmade materials, such as shredded newspaper or shredded office paper, are options. While they are free, use them with caution. Ink can be toxic to chickens, and office paper is heavily processed and treated. Glossy paper—the kind found in magazines and fliers—also contains a large amount of ink and can create a matted and/or slippery surface.

View attachment 1356822

We purchased the above "starter" coop this year and have six girls living in it happily.. We plan to build a walk in coop for next spring before adding more chickens.

This coop sits inside our very secure chicken run we build (12x20). My question is what do y'all with similar coops do on the inside?

We've been doing a thin layer of sand then pine shavings, but this is a mess. Is there a better way? They have been copping themselves up every night at dark (around 8:15p) and then we close it up and let them back out at daybreak (around 6am). We keep water in there at all times but I haven't been putting food in because it is so dark, and they really are sleeping. Their food gets hung up each morning in the run when I let them out for the day. I say that because I wanted to be sure that you knew it's not food making it a mess.

Would love ideas and suggestions
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom