Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I need help!! I just used my bator last week and I unplugged it and I wanna use it again and the last week my bator HASnt heated up past 90 degrees I have blankets around it and It isn't going up enough help!!

I assume you have checked different thermometers. It could be your heating element is failing. Also the blankets could be hindering ventilation. Has anything else happened since you posted this question?

Finding an accurate thermometer is the hardest part of incubating, and dilluted bleach removes any smell after incubation. I'll probably be cleaning mine tomorrow, most of the hatch is over... I think. All but 3 eggs hatched in the 9200, and I probably still got 15 eggs or so in the 9300 with no pips. Sadly, The chick fully absorbed his yolk but was dead when I got home; along with a malpositioned pip. The malpositioned pip I was able to help made it! :D  I'll post brooder pics tomorrow, and let you'all know if any hatch tonight... I don't expect any to though. 

Still not too bad a hatch. Sorry for the little fella that didn't make it. I wonder why it kicked out of the shell before it was ready. So what do you think was the main problem with the 9300 to have so many not hatch? Something with the eggs or something with the bator?

Finding an accurate thermometer is the hardest part of incubating, and dilluted bleach removes any smell after incubation. I'll probably be cleaning mine tomorrow, most of the hatch is over... I think. All but 3 eggs hatched in the 9200, and I probably still got 15 eggs or so in the 9300 with no pips. Sadly, The chick fully absorbed his yolk but was dead when I got home; along with a malpositioned pip. The malpositioned pip I was able to help made it!
big_smile.png
I'll post brooder pics tomorrow, and let you'all know if any hatch tonight... I don't expect any to though.
Sorry about the couple that did not make it. How many hatchers do you have so far??

I would much rather have them die during hatch than have to cull. (I'd rather not loose any, but....) I don't think I am capable of intentionally killing a chick. Thankfully I have not had a dire case yet, and hope I won't, but if and when it comes, I'll have to get outside help. I was the kid that tried to save every hurt/suffering animaI I came across and then cried for hours when they didn't make it. I toughened up in my old age, but not to the point I can do that.
I'm with you. I definitely couldn't do it either.
In my 'bators I decided to switch around my thermometer except for the mercury one I am leaving that in with the goose eggs. And now one says 69% the other says 52%. I don't know what it's problem is but, hopefully it straightened itself out with the switch. Another thing I did was candle the sussex eggs but, it's still too early to see anything. My main concern was any damage to the remaining eggs I didn't see before. Since the pointy egg broke in the 'bator.

I am excited I candled the goose eggs I found good veining in 5 out of 6. The 6th is iffy. The Lavender's look good 8 for 8. 
I am worried though because of the cracked egg from the Sussex I just got. The incubator smells now. Is there anything I can do about that? 

Also I am worried about the humidity/heat in the incubator with the goose eggs. The mercury thermometer has been just below 99.5 for the past two days. But, the other thermometer was reading 96.4 and the humidity said 99%.

Have you tried the salt test? Might be worth taking the thermometer/hygrometer out long enough to test the humidity reading on it. 99% I would think you would have moisture all over the inside of the incubator!

I really don't know why the 9300 didn't hatch as well, my guess is that the mercury thermometer I had to use was on the low side so the spikes on the 9200 for long durations compensated for that. So far, all but three hatched in the 9200 and after checking for sounds I eggtopsied and they were dead within the egg. I can still hear one peeping in the 9300, so I'll leave it alone for now: quite a few eggs left in it. On a second note, the eggs that were "Rhode Island Red" we're anything but! There were some barred rocks, solid blacks, even a few whites... Guess that's what you get when you pay $5 a dozen. :lau
I'm up to 29 chicks, but I will have to cull two of them... One has bugged eyes and I researched all night and haven't heard a story of one making it yet, likely swelling in the brain. You can tell something's wrong, he's slow and constantly falling asleep while standing. The other had splayed legs and I tried to make a splint, his legs are stiff now and he can barley walk. It's gonna kill me; I would always (and still do) stop every time I see a turtle in the road to move it across because I would cry if I saw one smashed on the road. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but here goes to researching on BYC the next few hours.

Other than that, I have 27 beautiful chicks and couldn't ask for anything better... I gotta feeling I'll have some more eggs loaded in a week or two. I'll post pictures later. :D

I really don't know why the 9300 didn't hatch as well, my guess is that the mercury thermometer I had to use was on the low side so the spikes on the 9200 for long durations compensated for that. So far, all but three hatched in the 9200 and after checking for sounds I eggtopsied and they were dead within the egg. I can still hear one peeping in the 9300, so I'll leave it alone for now: quite a few eggs left in it. On a second note, the eggs that were "Rhode Island Red" we're anything but! There were some barred rocks, solid blacks, even a few whites... Guess that's what you get when you pay $5 a dozen.
lau.gif

I'm up to 29 chicks, but I will have to cull two of them... One has bugged eyes and I researched all night and haven't heard a story of one making it yet, likely swelling in the brain. You can tell something's wrong, he's slow and constantly falling asleep while standing. The other had splayed legs and I tried to make a splint, his legs are stiff now and he can barley walk. It's gonna kill me; I would always (and still do) stop every time I see a turtle in the road to move it across because I would cry if I saw one smashed on the road. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but here goes to researching on BYC the next few hours.

Other than that, I have 27 beautiful chicks and couldn't ask for anything better... I gotta feeling I'll have some more eggs loaded in a week or two. I'll post pictures later.
big_smile.png
Awesome. I stop and move turtles too. I had a box turtle for 22 years before she died. She was like 6 years older than me too (according to the pet shop when I bought her as a kid.) I am partial to turtles. Had a baby snapper for a while too...lol He started getting too big and smelly.

Back
Top Bottom