Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
CORRECTION!!! TWO HAVE PIPS AND I DO HAVE PIPS IN THEM!!!!! I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

ok   thank you anyway...I guess I am doing it ok cause as of 12:30 today I have two pips and hear my little chickies and the one that is hatching first is a double yolk that my students at church gave me...so wish me luck in having twins for my kids!

Yay!!!!! :weee I am so happy for you!!!!

Thanks so much Amy you have been so helpful and I will follow your advice.  I am keeping your comments for future use.   I hope to hatch some different kinds of chickens later.  My kids at church gave me eggs to hatch and this was my first attempt.   I do have three hatching right now and one child gave me a double yolk and I debated about trying to hatch it but it is the first to pip and its beak is sticking out of the egg and it has zipped more.....the strange thing , I noticed that the chick on the small end with no air cell is, the end hatching and the one with a large air cell has not pipped.   Maybe it will come out the small end with the first chick. Thanks again for your help.  You have been amazing!

Amy is truly amazing!!!! She helped me when I first started and now I feel pretty good about what I do.

Yay!!!!!
wee.gif
I am so happy for you!!!!
Amy is truly amazing!!!! She helped me when I first started and now I feel pretty good about what I do.
Awe, thanks.

My twins died in the shell. There was a small chick on the small end that tried to hatch but this cause the bigger chick to die because it was not ready to hatch yet. I have 2 completely hatched and 3 that is zipping. I don't think I will try another double again...it is too sad. I only did it because a child gave me the egg. Also, I got up this morning at 4:00 am to check on the chicks and one had hatched and had wiggled around into the probe cord and unplugged it and my incubator was 108 degrees. I had to open it and cool things down because the chick was drinking from the sponge it was so hot....I cooled it down slowly and then another chick hatched. So I hope this will not kill the other eggs.

My twins died in the shell. There was a small chick on the small end that tried to hatch but this cause the bigger chick to die because it was not ready to hatch yet. I have 2 completely hatched and 3 that is zipping. I don't think I will try another double again...it is too sad. I only did it because a child gave me the egg. Also, I got up this morning at 4:00 am to check on the chicks and one had hatched and had wiggled around into the probe cord and unplugged it and my incubator was 108 degrees. I had to open it and cool things down because the chick was drinking from the sponge it was so hot....I cooled it down slowly and then another chick hatched. So I hope this will not kill the other eggs.

Oh my! Good thing you checked on them. Good luck for continued hatchings... Post some pics when you get a chance.

Those probes are more of a problem than anything. Hopefully it didn't compromise the rest. It's very rare that doubles can successfully hatch, that's why so many are against even trying. I'd make sure that the hatchers were in the brooder with water supplied so they can rehydrate.
fl.gif

Help those little fluffies are not getting so fulffy...they are wiggling around so they are getting on the sponge and getting damp and then crawling over the entire incubator wetting all the eggs and the humidity went from 73 to 91. Is that too high and how do I lower it? I took out a sponge

Last edited:
Help those little fluffies are not getting so fulffy...they are wiggling around so they are getting on the sponge and getting damp and then crawling over the entire incubator wetting all the eggs and the humidity went from 73 to 91. Is that too high and how do I lower it? I took out a sponge
If you have the brooder set up and it's heated at one end to 95+ put them in the brooder under the light. I move mine while they are still wet to the brooder and they fluff up so much better under the light. It's hard to fluff up when the humidity is raised. I, personally, wouldn't worry about the humidity, but if you open- it will let a bit out, so if you pull them out to put in the brooder it will probably go down a litle anyway. You do have your vent plugs out, right?

If you have the brooder set up and it's heated at one end to 95+ put them in the brooder under the light. I move mine while they are still wet to the brooder and they fluff up so much better under the light. It's hard to fluff up when the humidity is raised. I, personally, wouldn't worry about the humidity, but if you open- it will let a bit out, so if you pull them out to put in the brooder it will probably go down a litle anyway. You do have your vent plugs out, right?
yes I have my vents out.....and I have the brooder ready....so I will go ahead and move them! You are so helpful! Your friend forever! Sherry

Back
Top Bottom