Little Tike playhouse into Chicken palace

Like many this thread is dedicated into turning the Cape Cottage Little Tike house into a chicken palace. However I would love insight from those who done it before hand as type we build our coops from wood not plastic. The basic plans is to add hardwire cloth, replace once door with wood and add assortment of details. (Including but not limited to: a platform due to my mobility issues, stick and peel tile floor, fancy chicken run.).

Photo attached is the playhouse victim. It isn't a double wall plastic so I was wondering if we should reinforce parts with wood, also what screws do people typically go for when converting these things? I hope to document the whole process to help people and just for the funsies.
Ohhhhh, I just bought the exact same playhouse to cover to a coop! Have you finished yours yet? I’d love to see pics, especially how you worked with the half doors. I’m kinda stuck on what to do with those.

Hello everyone! Any updates on any of these conversions? I’m also about to start one using this playhouse and am interested in seeing final pictures of any are available.

My plan is hardware cloth over all windows, cut a hole on the left side under the window for my automatic door, add a nesting box inside the right opening window, and add a plywood floor. I’m thinking of building a second hinged door to go above the original half door, to make a Dutch door. Or I may just build a new door altogether. Only need to open for cleaning access. The back door on mine won’t be used, it’ll be against a fence. So I was going to put hardware cloth across the whole thing.

Mine will be inside a larger covered run, so I’m not worried about water getting in. I’m in Texas so I need ventilation more than anything.

Hello everyone! Any updates on any of these conversions? I’m also about to start one using this playhouse and am interested in seeing final pictures of any are available.

My plan is hardware cloth over all windows, cut a hole on the left side under the window for my automatic door, add a nesting box inside the right opening window, and add a plywood floor. I’m thinking of building a second hinged door to go above the original half door, to make a Dutch door. Or I may just build a new door altogether. Only need to open for cleaning access. The back door on mine won’t be used, it’ll be against a fence. So I was going to put hardware cloth across the whole thing.

Mine will be inside a larger covered run, so I’m not worried about water getting in. I’m in Texas so I need ventilation more than anything.
Because of health I haven't gotten to this, however this weekend I'm going to be tackling this concept. They will be for silkies in the garden, but what you're planning is pretty similar to what me and my father brainstormed together with it on a slight platform.

Back
Top Bottom