Little Tike playhouse into Chicken palace

Wow. Super nice.
I live in a hot, humid, area. I'm not sure any plastic structure would work here. I think it would be like an oven.
I live in Mississippi, and with how many windows there is I know it should be fine. I got polical signs to winterize if need be.

I've been looking at a lot of pics of these types of coops lately, as I advised my sister to find one of these being given away, for their coop build. She'll also be using fence panel dog run, with hardware cloth added for the secure run that the coop will be placed inside.

There are tons of pics of this type of upcycled playhouse coop online, many have been built on top of a platform to elevate the coop (since you mentioned wanting one)

I'd guess the structure is fine for stability, it IS marketed to have kids play inside it. Once you start adding in roost bars, nest boxes, etc. it will likely get even more sturdy if you're attaching those to multiple points and triangulating, etc. Hardware cloth can easily be added to the windows; I like non-self-tapping modified truss head screws and those would be great for securing HC to the plastic. Many people also use fender washers with screws.

Hello, I just bought this playhouse to turn into a coop. Our plan is to put a wood bottom on it, off the ground about 3 feet. Put pexi glass for the narrow windows and for the ones with shutters we will make one into a nesting box, the other window will have hardware cloth and pexi glass attached to the shutters so we can open it in the summer. We're also sealing the roof joints with a silicone to prevent leaks as well as all other joints just to help keep it water tight. We live where it rains a lot. I have an old window I am going to put on the top half of the door and one door will open to the run and we plan on having a dutch door. I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet. What are do you plan on doing with yours? I can send pictures as soon as I start getting this put together. I have next week off and plan on starting this weekend

ut pexi glass for the narrow windows and for the ones with shutters we will make one into a nesting box, the other window will have hardware cloth and pexi glass attached to the shutters so we can open it in the summer.

You're going to need a lot more ventilation than just one window. Hardware cloth in all of them with awnings to keep out the rain would be a better idea.

Here's my article on ventilation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Like many this thread is dedicated into turning the Cape Cottage Little Tike house into a chicken palace. However I would love insight from those who done it before hand as type we build our coops from wood not plastic. The basic plans is to add hardwire cloth, replace once door with wood and add assortment of details. (Including but not limited to: a platform due to my mobility issues, stick and peel tile floor, fancy chicken run.).

Photo attached is the playhouse victim. It isn't a double wall plastic so I was wondering if we should reinforce parts with wood, also what screws do people typically go for when converting these things? I hope to document the whole process to help people and just for the funsies.
Hey! I am converting the exact same playhouse! So I have just been using zipties, they dont look as fancy but they are strong and seem to do the job. Sorry this picture isn't the best. I thought I had more pics on my phone, guess not. I'm currently at work I'll post more pics later. What are your ideas for the nesting boxes?

Attachments

• 67967971793__8603F3B7-E5D5-4269-8D77-1F2E283C6144.fullsizerender.jpg
    67967971793__8603F3B7-E5D5-4269-8D77-1F2E283C6144.fullsizerender.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom