Longest Egg Laying Streak

Junibutt

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Chicago
I am just restarting the thread to see how everyone's hens are doing on the egg-front. Just something to cherish on an on-going basis for everyone. Kindly no hearsay please. Only post your numbers if you are really keeping records. If you are not sure which egg belongs to which hen, then you should not claim your numbers here but are more than welcome to post your joy.

A Streak would be defined as longest number of consecutive days a hen has laid eggs without skipping one. Please don't make up stuff to brag
love.gif

I record who laid an egg every day. I started doing it once my second pullet started laying to differentiate between their eggs.

Here is what I have so far:

Marcy- ISA Brown- DOB-March 26, 2013, First Egg laid- July 26, 2013, She is on her Day 82 now.
Pepe-ISA Brown- DOB-March 26, 2013, First Egg laid- Aug 2, 2013, She is on a 24 day streak today
Tree Trunks-RIR/Production Red -DOB-March 26, 2013, First Egg laid- Aug 19, 2013, She had a 51 day streak but then took a break on Oct-9th.
Mable-Silver Laced Wyandotte-DOB- May 7th, 2013, Fist Egg laid- Sept 11, 2013- Nothing worth mentioning yet, she just takes a break every 8th Day.
KoKo-Australorp-DOB-May 7th, 2013, First Egg laid- Sept 25, 2013- Nothing worth mentioning yet.
Scarlet-Golden Laced Wyandotte-DOB- May 7, 2013, First Egg laid- October 15, 2013

I will post pictures of my ladies when they are cooperative!

Wow, your birds are certainly good egg layers! My two year old Columbian Wyandotte's longest streak (that I remember--I only started keeping exact track of her eggs when she was older, so I probably missed her first months of high egg production) was 10 days. She averages about 6 a week in the summer months.

Wow, your birds are certainly good egg layers! My two year old Columbian Wyandotte's longest streak (that I remember--I only started keeping exact track of her eggs when she was older, so I probably missed her first months of high egg production) was 10 days. She averages about 6 a week in the summer months.
Yes the elder 3 are great, my only concern is that they have lost a few ounces since they first started laying eggs. I am worried they will be exhausted in a year and my kids are really attached to them.

Junibutt .....How do you know which hen lays which egg? Are all they in different coops or do you use trap nests or...?

Junibutt .....How do you know which hen lays which egg? Are all they in different coops or do you use trap nests or...?
None of the above:
smile.png

I just stalk my girls all day long. Hehe! Its kind of true but since all of my ladies except two are different, their eggs are different in sizes and color. I will post pictures of all their eggs together and then you can appreciate. So far I haven't had an odd ball thrown at me but I know now all six have started laying, it will happen soon.

Marcy lays her egg first thing in the morning even before the sun is completely out. Her egg is extra large between 64 and 68 g and is dark brown
Pepe lays between 7:30 and 8:00. Her egg is small/medium between 52 and 54g consistently and dark brown.
Tree-Trunks lays between 10 and 11 AM and her egg is small 44-48 g and very light pinkish brown.
Mable lays on a 26 hr cycle and skips every 8th day (so far) and has a small pullet sized 38g egg which is somewhat elongated and is cream/light brown color. e.g she starts on day 1 at 7:00 AM, Day 2-9:00 AM, Day 3-11:00 AM, Day 4-1:00 PM, Day 5, 3-PM, Day 6-5PM, Day 7-7:00 PM and then skips a day and starts back at 7:00 AM again.
Koko has no schedule or pattern except that her egg is shaped like an alien head and is small around 38 g
Scarlet just started. So far has laid 2 eggs only and they were around 40 g and a perfect oval but almost pinkish brown just like Tree-Trunks.

So if her egg increases in size a bit, and changes shape (which I heard does not change much), then I will have trouble differentiating the two.

So the bottom line is that if you don't know your individual chicken's habits or if they all are same breed, you cannot differentiate unless there eggs are remarkably different. You would really have to put a camera on the nests otherwise:
love.gif

Last edited:
Gotcha.....not many folks are able to do that, so I doubt you'll get many takers on your survey.

Have you ever looked at trap nests? You still need to be around to release the birds, but it takes all the doubt out of who's laying what.

how about how long my flock of 80 (at the time) went without laying? 0 eggs for 8 months, we got an egg one day somewhere in that month, then 0 eggs for another month till we FINALLY figured out :
A) we weren't feeding them enough
B) During some of those months we didn't have enough daylight

This was a long time ago, now they get free food 24/7
roll.png

That is super impressive! I've not had chickens long, but my longest streak for a single hen has been 4 days straight. Not terribly impressive, but I find it exciting none-the-less.

how about how long my flock of 80 (at the time) went without laying? 0 eggs for 8 months, we got an egg one day somewhere in that month, then 0 eggs for another month till we FINALLY figured out :
A) we weren't feeding them enough
B) During some of those months we didn't have enough daylight

This was a long time ago, now they get free food 24/7
roll.png
Just curious how you were calculating the amount of food when you were not feeding them enough?

Gotcha.....not many folks are able to do that, so I doubt you'll get many takers on your survey.

Have you ever looked at trap nests? You still need to be around to release the birds, but it takes all the doubt out of who's laying what.
Trap nests seem like a good idea. However I am just counting these because Marcy is on a long streak. Whenever she breaks her streak, probably I will lose interest. Plus I have to shuffle the birds between the coop and pen anyways because they don't get along very well. So whoever is closer to her laying time gets to go in the coop and then back to the pen. Quite time consuming but since I work from home, I can take a 10 minute break every hour to flex some muscles as well.

Back
Top Bottom