Longest Egg Laying Streak

Quote: basically (if i am understanding your question right)- for 80 chickens all we did was throw out a scoop or two of scratch in the morning and that was that. They had to find the rest of their food elsewhere. which honestly there wasnt anything since they had already eaten everything with a 300 yard radius. :/

basically (if i am understanding your question right)- for 80 chickens all we did was throw out a scoop or two of scratch in the morning and that was that. They had to find the rest of their food elsewhere. which honestly there wasnt anything since they had already eaten everything with a 300 yard radius. :/
Ah. I see!

I totally stalk my hens too! LOL. Actually I only have two hens that are laying, one RSL and one Easter Egger. Their eggs are pretty easy to tell apart! My RSL hen is a laying CHAMP! I got her on a Saturday and when I got back home from church the next day there was an egg in the nesting box! That was about five weeks ago and she's only missed ONE DAY laying an egg! My other hen, the EE, is a terrible layer. Her eggs have super thin shell and break all the time (yes I have oyster shells out). I do good to get one edible egg a week. Grrrr. The RSL hen is named Breakfast- and she is great at providing breakfast! The EE in named Nugget- and if things don't shape up she's gonna be great at providing nuggets!! (JK..... I think....

I totally stalk my hens too! LOL. Actually I only have two hens that are laying, one RSL and one Easter Egger. Their eggs are pretty easy to tell apart! My RSL hen is a laying CHAMP! I got her on a Saturday and when I got back home from church the next day there was an egg in the nesting box! That was about five weeks ago and she's only missed ONE DAY laying an egg! My other hen, the EE, is a terrible layer. Her eggs have super thin shell and break all the time (yes I have oyster shells out). I do good to get one edible egg a week. Grrrr. The RSL hen is named Breakfast- and she is great at providing breakfast! The EE in named Nugget- and if things don't shape up she's gonna be great at providing nuggets!! (JK..... I think....
Hahaha! No matter how much folks here do not like the Sex-Links, they are great layers. I do worry about them reference their 2nd or 3rd year. My kids love them as pets and will hate to lose them that early because of broken bones etc. May be you should force feed the EE some oyster shells. May be grind them, mix them with the feed and and make the feed a little wet. Do it for a week and see if that helps. Otherwise nuggets are always good!

Maybe this post did the trick- Nugget laid an edible egg in the nest boxing two days in a row! I actually don't care if she lays a whole bunch, but her problem is she will lay from the roost, they will fall and break, and then the other chickens feast. Not cool, Nugget, not cool. I don't want my whole flock turning into egg eaters!
And Breakfast is a great hen- super friendly, boss hen but doesn't pick on anybody, and of course egg production champ! I will hate it when she's gone, but luckily my kids aren't too attached. I'm more worried about how many tears I will shed!

Last edited:
Maybe this post did the trick- Nugget laid an edible egg in the nest boxing two days in a row! I actually don't care if she lays a whole bunch, but her problem is she will lay from the roost, they will fall and break, and then the other chickens feast. Not cool, Nugget, not cool. I don't want my whole flock turning into egg eaters!
And Breakfast is a great hen- super friendly, boss hen but doesn't pick on anybody, and of course egg production champ! I will hate it when she's gone, but luckily my kids aren't too attached. I'm more worried about how many tears I will shed!
Can you try putting some extra hay/pine shavings under the roosting area to see if the egg breaks or not. Or maybe lock her in the nest every night for a week until she has laid one. That may change her habit.

I only have 4 birds right now. Only 2 of which are laying. I work very early mornings part time but am home by 8:30am so I am home all day and I tend to "stalk" them in the afternoon at lay time and I date every egg when I collect it. Currently their eggs are distinguishable, both brown but my RIR's are smaller and more pink. My BSL also lays at almost the exact same time of day 10:30am and lays before the RIR. My office is our sun room so I have large windows looking out into yard and can see when they run into the coop.

My other 2 birds are different breeds and should lay much different colored eggs when the time comes (EE and Welsummer) so as long as the BSL and RIR remain distinguishable from each other I'll be sure to keep participating in this thread.

My RIR had a bit of an adjustment period her first week and 1/2 or so. She was on an approximately 28 hour cycle so after 3 days she'd skip a day. She's now laying every day right before noon. Currently my BSL is on a streak since her very first egg. She won't lay for another 4 hours from now but here's my current totals.

Onyxia- Black Sex Link- DOB 4/27/13 - first egg 10/5/13- current streak 18 days
Phillie- Production Rhode Island Red- DOB 4/27/13- first egg 10/11/13- current streak 5 days

I'll be sure to update if one breaks a streak or if they keep up their record.

Last edited:
I only have 4 birds right now. Only 2 of which are laying. I work very early mornings part time but am home by 8:30am so I am home all day and I tend to "stalk" them in the afternoon at lay time and I date every egg when I collect it. Currently their eggs are distinguishable, both brown but my RIR's are smaller and more pink. My BSL also lays at almost the exact same time of day 10:30am and lays before the RIR. My office is our sun room so I have large windows looking out into yard and can see when they run into the coop.

My other 2 birds are different breeds and should lay much different colored eggs when the time comes (EE and Welsummer) so as long as the BSL and RIR remain distinguishable from each other I'll be sure to keep participating in this thread.

My RIR had a bit of an adjustment period her first week and 1/2 or so. She was on an approximately 28 hour cycle so after 3 days she'd skip a day. She's now laying every day right before noon. Currently my BSL is on a streak since her very first egg. She won't lay for another 4 hours from now but here's my current totals.

Onyxia- Black Sex Link- DOB 4/27/13 - first egg 10/5/13- current streak 18 days
Phillie- Production Rhode Island Red- DOB 4/27/13- first egg 10/11/13- current streak 5 days

I'll be sure to update if one breaks a streak or if they keep up their record.

Thanks, they are beautiful eggs. Look forward to getting weekly updates or if a streak is broken.

Marcy(RSL) is now on Day 90, Pepe (RSL)32 and Tree-Trunks (RIR) on day 14.

Marcy's eggs are beautiful, she strarted around 52 gms but now her eggs are consistently between 66 and 70 gms with an occasional JUMBO.
Pepe however has been laying for almost 3 months now but her egg is fixed at 52 gms. I am assuming she will not lay any bigger, she is too busy being the boss.
Tree-Trunks started at 38 g but has slowly progressed to 50-52 g now, I am hoping she will continue to progress.

Phillie broke her short streak yesterday. Looks like she won't be the record breaking type. She went 6 days then took a day off. Seems she's on about a 25 hour cycle now. If she lays 3pm or later she skips the next day.

Onyxia is still going strong.

Onyxia- Black Sex Link- DOB 4/27/13 - first egg 10/5/13- current streak 22 days

I lost Pepe today. More than likely she was stolen because she never wanders off specially by herself. But I am trying to be positive. Maybe she stepped out of the fence and someone is keeping her safe till they find the owners. She was on a 30 day streak.

Marcy the other Red-Sex link is still on a streak, she is on her day 94 today. Hopefully losing Pepe (they are from the same hatch and Pepe was the boss) does not effect her laying.

Back
Top Bottom