Looking for information!

So I inject the baby chicks myself with the vaccine?
And also what other viruses do we need to worry about. I read of cocci as well which comes from them ingesting dirt?
No.....If buying from a Hatchery they do it...It has to be done to one day old Chicks...Besides no one will sell you a Single dose of Mereks vaccine...It would cost a fortune to only do a small flock....Only Hatcheries can do it....

Cheers!

I do chicks in the fall... I usally heat my shop anyways... brood chicks in there.. any heat escapes from brooder just causes heater to run less.. so it usally costs me less to brood chicks now. . Then by spring there ready to lay ..

As far as vaccinating for Marek's, it doesn't stop the birds from contacting the virus. It just causes them to not express symptoms if contracted. They can still get the virus, and become carriers, they just won't get sick and die.
Coccidia is a naturally occurring protozoa. Chickens develop a resistance the strains they are exposed to.

Thank you Chickens Really. Then I'll make sure I purchase from a hatchery instead of a feed store? Or wouldn't the feed store get them from a hatchery, so they'd prob have them vaccinated as well?

Thank you Chickens Really. Then I'll make sure I purchase from a hatchery instead of a feed store? Or wouldn't the feed store get them from a hatchery, so they'd prob have them vaccinated as well?
Yes...Just make sure they are vaccinated for that...In general they should be...Even if vaccinated for coccidia..I always feed medicated feed till 8 weeks...The Coccidia vaccine is not worth the vaccine...Chicks are fine and do better on the medicated feed...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom