Looking for information!

I don't vaccinate. . It's really a preference I think.. some people swear by it others recommend not.. there are threads on here about that.. so it's up to you.. some say keeping vaccinated birds can just keep carrier's around.. disease is Natural part of life.. kills the weak.. the strong remain..
We humans breed the weak.. we have 3 year Olds with diabetes. . Where they get that... in the wild only the strong survive.. the weak dies out.. breed the strong makes sense.. just my 2 cents..

@Rod-T has a great point...If you raise your own Chickens and either incubate or Broody them? No need to Vaccinate...Chickens develop a resistance to their own diseases...As long as no outside birds are brought in....Your flock will flourish...

Cheers!

Are these illnesses something that you need to contiously worry about in future years or not as chicks?
Coccidiosis is usually most prevalent in chicks, but older birds that are new to an environment are also susceptible. They build up a resistance over time. Medicated feed helps to prevent the coccidia organisms from overtaking a bird's system, and gives them a chance to build up resistance without becoming seriously ill.
Marek's, once contracted, makes a bird a carrier for life. The infected bird can pass the virus to other birds, even if it was vaccinated as a chick. As I already said, the vaccine doesn't prevent the illness. In the event of a Marek's outbreak, vaccinated birds don't exhibit symptoms of the illness. They still get the virus. You just can't tell that they have it.
Vaccinations in poultry do not have the same effects that they do in mammals.

Hi everyone. One more question. Hay? How much needed and we read that baby chicks need to eat dirt, (referred to as grit)? Is this true? And why?
What is the start up cost approximately and the monthly for care.
And dust baths?? What is that and why needed?
There just seems to be so much. I want to learn what's necessary and not.

So many people have so many different ways. I know we will learn as we go but it seems so very overwhelming right now and we haven't even begun. Lol.

If feeding the Chicks anything other than the starter feed they will need Granite grit to break down the food..It helps the gizzard to grid up the food...Chickens have no teeth. The food goes into the crop and then to the gizzard and then to the stomach...
I use sand in my Run and Coop..They Dust bath to keep themselves clean and free of parasites. Free range birds find all kinds of great places to dust bath in....The Cost to get started can be costly....I have 12 Chickens and 5 Ducks...I spend about $100 a month on feed....

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tiggirl, it's great you're doing your research, but don't be overwhelmed! Chickens really are easy once you have them. I've bought all my chicks and ducklings from a local feed store. I just looked at them closely and made sure they looked perky and happy and were lively. Like other animals, make sure their eyes are clear and bright. If you start with healthy chicks you'll be fine! If you're planning to free range, you don't have to worry about dust baths or grit. They will make their own dust baths and peck around in the dirt for grit. When they're babies, what do you plan to use as a brooder? We used a giant Tupperware tote, and put pine shavings in the bottom instead of straw. A giant bag of pine shavings is about $7 and even if you change the shavings daily, it'll last you a couple weeks. You don't need to spend much to make chicks happy. A feeder, or a shallow dish for food; a waterer; heat lamp; food; shavings, and chicks, maybe $50 for all of it? Depending on how expensive of chicks you pick out.

Back
Top Bottom