looking for opinions on breeds

I live in northern Mn and have barred Plymouth rocks. They have survived winter and only occasionally stopped laying eggs. They are pretty friendly if you spend time with them when they are chicks. Have fun!

I have 12 Naked Necks. One is setting 8 eggs now. Very hardy and lay well. I live in north Louisiana and they do well in the hot summers hear. They are one year old. I set 32 eggs in bator. Hatched 25 April 2nd and all are fine. Gental chickens and protective Roo.

I have 12 Naked Necks. One is setting 8 eggs now. Very hardy and lay well. I live in north Louisiana and they do well in the hot summers hear. They are one year old. I set 32 eggs in bator. Hatched 25 April 2nd and all are fine. Gental chickens and protective Roo.

Hi! I think wyandottes are really beautiful birds and I would love to own a few but I'm afraid they wont tolerate the heat, here in Florida. Does anyone know if maybe the bantams aremore heat-tolerant? Or perhaps some other colorful breeds that are good for a "new egg" like myself? I'm aiming for a very small scale flock of brown egg layers, I only have 2 RIR right now and they need some new friends

I live in Alaska so I tried to get all cold hardy breeds, Black Australorps, Black Giants, Red Chanteclers, Buff and Light Brahmas and Buckeyes. They have not made it through the winter yet, but so far, so good!

Hi! I think wyandottes are really beautiful birds and I would love to own a few but I'm afraid they wont tolerate the heat, here in Florida. Does anyone know if maybe the bantams aremore heat-tolerant? Or perhaps some other colorful breeds that are good for a "new egg" like myself? I'm aiming for a very small scale flock of brown egg layers, I only have 2 RIR right now and they need some new friends

Your humidity may be more of a problem than the heat for Wyandotte breeds. Temperatures here reached 110 during our last drought. The fertility dropped with the cock bird at 95 degrees. Even with the heat in August, several hens went broody. Temps have been I. The single digits this winter and they are still laying. Wyandotte can tolerate some extremes.

Dock the comb it's mesh but effective I have game chickens and their combs were docked when I got them because they are retired fighters but it helps if you live down south also because the Mosquitos can't bite their combs.
Ps I do. Not fight chickens :D

Back
Top Bottom