looking for opinions on breeds

Game chickens ... They are tough as nails
Or get a brown leghorn rooster and some white leghorn hens - they are white so they will do better in sunlight

Your humidity may be more of a problem than the heat for Wyandotte breeds. Temperatures here reached 110 during our last drought. The fertility dropped with the cock bird at 95 degrees. Even with the heat in August, several hens went broody. Temps have been I. The single digits this winter and they are still laying. Wyandotte can tolerate some extremes.

My last two comments are for the Florida girl ... Sorry new to this website

I suggest you get black or brown sex-links. Brown ones seen to have a better color to the eggs but the chickens themselves aren't as thick. Black sex-links tend to have a pinkish white tint to their eggs and get very big. The breed usually lays 1-2 eggs per day at a reasonable size. Brown ones usually have a bright - dull brown color of feathers. Black ones will either be well black, have a thick golden color around their neck feathers, or have a light gold all over them.

:D

Roosters sometimes agressive. Raise the ladies right and they will be fairly tame. Not as tame as some other breeds, like most bantams and cochins.

We are in Columbus OH but only recently. Before that, my birds were Boston Girls like myself. Our weather is going to be similar with less snow.

I have Black Copper Marans, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Cream Legbars, Brown Leghorns, Olive Eggers, Silver Penciled Rocks and Americaunas.

My crazy mix has done well in both places but my most predictable layers have been my silver pencil rocks, pea comb americaunas and my brown leghorn.

Until my nemesis the Cooper Hawk from Hell took one out, I looked forward to two blue/green eggs nearly every day from my two Americaunas. And they are seemingly unphased by almost any weather except the -20s we had last winter.

The other breed that simply never stopped laying for me was my Dominiques. They were sweet, smart and later probably 325 eggs a year.

Good Luck!!! Hope you made out okay in Juno. Watching all the coverage from back home. What a mess!!!

I live in South Central Florida and the Wyndots do fine. So do Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires. As long as there is shade for them with lots of fresh clean water, any breed does well in Florida. I've been a chicken rancher for 70 years and am a 5th generation chicken rancher. I've had chickens 20 years old and still laying eggs !!! My father use to say my chickens could make the Guinness Book of Records. In fact I have about 4-5 - - 20 year olds right now still laying. They were baby pet chicks for my now 20 year old grandson when he was 5 months old. The grandson is off on his own but his chickens are still here and still faithfully laying !

Chickens do not lay two eggs a day. They lay one a day. Even under those horrid artificial lights to force more laying, they still only lay one a day.
The only hen I've ever seen lay more then one egg a day is when the Guinea hen is first beginning to lay. After the first week or so they settle down to the usual one egg a day.

I live in South Central Florida and the Wyndots do fine. So do Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires.  As long as there is shade for them with lots of fresh clean water,  any breed does well in Florida. I've been a chicken rancher for 70 years and am a 5th generation chicken rancher.  I've had chickens 20 years old and still laying eggs !!!  My father use to say my chickens could make the Guinness Book of Records.  In fact I have about 4-5 - - 20 year olds right now still laying.  They were baby pet chicks for my now  20 year old grandson when he was 5 months old. The grandson is off on his own but his chickens are still here and still faithfully laying !
oh my god what kinds are they? I would love for mine to live and lay that long. I also thought that chickens are born with a certain amount of egg cells and when she reaches that quota she can not lay snymore....please educate me. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom