lost 10 out of 16 of our chickens!

hugs.gif
I know how you feel! we lost 14 last week, mostly babies & silkies. Ours was a raccoon. I did the same thing with hardware wire. Didnt think of electric fence tho, bc ours come out and free roam all day. hope the new chicks fill the hole in your heart!
Funny thing is, hubby is Army (as was I) so we now call the coop, Coop De Ft Knox...
lau.gif

Quote:
I have been thinking of putting up an electric fence but I heard that weeds growing were an issue and would cause it to malfunction.

Is that true and will even thin weeds do that? I have weeds, I live in a very rural area and there is no way to get rid of all the weeds, just not enough time.

Oh, that's so upsetting. It seems like the stuff always hits the fan when you're out of town.

Quote:
I have been thinking of putting up an electric fence but I heard that weeds growing were an issue and would cause it to malfunction.

Is that true and will even thin weeds do that? I have weeds, I live in a very rural area and there is no way to get rid of all the weeds, just not enough time.

The fence charger is one that sends a pulse every 1/2 second it is supposed to kill the weeds that touch it. will not damage it even if tree branches fall on it. Will just lower the charge going threw the fence till branch is removed.

Quote:
Yeah always seems to be the way we were 800 miles from home so not a whole lot we could do. Friend we had taking care of our animals had to clean up the mess and put our chickens under house arrest inside thier coup for 2 days til we got back so I could fix the run!

Quote:

The fence charger is one that sends a pulse every 1/2 second it is supposed to kill the weeds that touch it. will not damage it even if tree branches fall on it. Will just lower the charge going threw the fence till branch is removed.

Wow, now that sounds like just the thing I need. How did you find what you needed for the fence? Can you tell what brand you have now? Thanks!!!!

Wow! I did laugh a bit imagining the blast a charger rated for 30 miles of fence would give out on a chicken coop, but truly I am sorry for your loss, and feel badly for your friend who had to cope with that as well.
And I'd also like to know what brand your fence is, because we will get one as well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom