"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

If a hen goes broody on me, would purchasing a set of hatching eggs to give her to hatch, work out? she gets to hatch fertile eggs (we have no Roo) and we get chicks!? Or would it be better to wait her out?

[COLOR=800080]One rooster will be fine to help guide them.  Some folks are happy just having laying hens.  If there is any possibility you'll want to hatch babies from them later you'd better keep one.[/COLOR]

If you just want them as a laying flock, you really don't need a rooster for protection -- your dominant hens will take over & perform that function for the flock. I'd cull all of them. I'm not a big rooster fan; I find the hens lay better without the roos bothering them. I am fixing to cull one of my two Welsummer roos - that will leave me three roos - one Wellie, one Marans & one lavendar Am - unfortunately, I need them for future eggs/chicks for my three chosen lines. I might put all of them into a "batchelor pad" - I've done that in the past, until I need them.

Thanks! I will decide when we are ready to cull but i won't keep over 1. These chickens were more or less a surprise birthday present but they were the breed I wanted. Since these are hatchery quality my current goals are:
1. Develop into laying flock (adding more birds as needed for our 3-4 dozen a week goal)
2. Use broody hens for future hatches (good breeds)

So Roos are not necessary, as I have no intention of continuing the line.

Last edited:
Oh my, one of the girls has takin a liking to Hubbys tablesaw lol I chased her outta there 3 times and she took me on like a Roo and RAN over and jumped up anyways. I took a 6 min video lol of her plopping out her egg and the egg song so I just took a few stills off of it to share.

he doesn't need to use that saw for the next few weeks so what's the big deal. let her sit.
jumpy.gif
lau.gif

Chickens on table saws, geese sitting on old eggs ---YEP IT'S SPRING!

I got thrown out of work yesterday coughing. Went to the doctor for meds --he says, "Well, I'm thinking pneumonia, but in order to confirm it I need to do an xray. I can just write your diagnosis as bronchitis and no xray. It's a matter of whether you want to pay for an xray when the treatment will be the same."
lau.gif
At least he's honest. Got lots of meds and I'm home again today. I will be quite depressed when it comes paycheck time.

I have finally got my lav orp roo doing his job. I have a three month old buff orp who is trying to top every bird in the grow out pen--boys included - man he's confused. And I have an 8 week old in a brooder that has started crowing. Whew! Too much masculine energy going on in my yard.

I STILL cannot get my porcelain d'uccles to lay. Those girls are a year old. I got one egg after worming them --one lonely egg -- and nothing else. I don't know what else to do. I think I'll slip out today with some treats laced in cayenne pepper. Hmmmm....light a spark under their butts and maybe they'll get busy. I also have an 8 month old gold laced wyandotte who will not lay -- the freeloaders will be moving on if something doesn't happen soon.

I am currently waiting anxiously on the mail truck to get in from Alexandria --my chicks from the old grouch should be on their way!! I will post pics of what's alive in the box.

Happy Friday everyone!

Chickens on table saws, geese sitting on old eggs ---YEP IT'S SPRING!

I got thrown out of work yesterday coughing. Went to the doctor for meds --he says, "Well, I'm thinking pneumonia, but in order to confirm it I need to do an xray. I can just write your diagnosis as bronchitis and no xray. It's a matter of whether you want to pay for an xray when the treatment will be the same."
lau.gif
At least he's honest. Got lots of meds and I'm home again today. I will be quite depressed when it comes paycheck time.

I have finally got my lav orp roo doing his job. I have a three month old buff orp who is trying to top every bird in the grow out pen--boys included - man he's confused. And I have an 8 week old in a brooder that has started crowing. Whew! Too much masculine energy going on in my yard.

I STILL cannot get my porcelain d'uccles to lay. Those girls are a year old. I got one egg after worming them --one lonely egg -- and nothing else. I don't know what else to do. I think I'll slip out today with some treats laced in cayenne pepper. Hmmmm....light a spark under their butts and maybe they'll get busy. I also have an 8 month old gold laced wyandotte who will not lay -- the freeloaders will be moving on if something doesn't happen soon.

I am currently waiting anxiously on the mail truck to get in from Alexandria --my chicks from the old grouch should be on their way!! I will post pics of what's alive in the box.

Happy Friday everyone!
Glad you finally went to the doc! Now get better quickly!!
hugs.gif

Darn freeloaders.
lau.gif

Have my fingers crossed for your new babies. Can't wait to hear they made it safe and sound and to see pictures.

Chickens on table saws, geese sitting on old eggs ---YEP IT'S SPRING! I got thrown out of work yesterday coughing. Went to the doctor for meds --he says, "Well, I'm thinking pneumonia, but in order to confirm it I need to do an xray. I can just write your diagnosis as bronchitis and no xray. It's a matter of whether you want to pay for an xray when the treatment will be the same."
lau.gif
At least he's honest. Got lots of meds and I'm home again today. I will be quite depressed when it comes paycheck time. I have finally got my lav orp roo doing his job. I have a three month old buff orp who is trying to top every bird in the grow out pen--boys included - man he's confused. And I have an 8 week old in a brooder that has started crowing. Whew! Too much masculine energy going on in my yard. I STILL cannot get my porcelain d'uccles to lay. Those girls are a year old. I got one egg after worming them --one lonely egg -- and nothing else. I don't know what else to do. I think I'll slip out today with some treats laced in cayenne pepper. Hmmmm....light a spark under their butts and maybe they'll get busy. I also have an 8 month old gold laced wyandotte who will not lay -- the freeloaders will be moving on if something doesn't happen soon. I am currently waiting anxiously on the mail truck to get in from Alexandria --my chicks from the old grouch should be on their way!! I will post pics of what's alive in the box. Happy Friday everyone!
Happy Friday to you as well!! Hope you get to feeling better soon. I will be pretty depressed come paycheck time too.. I was off Wednesday because my boss had a meeting all day, yesterday around 2:45, she decided she was tired of working and shut the office down, and now I'm off today because she has to go to the doctor. She won't let anyone in the office without her being there. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom