"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Yes, I'm taking my adorable Sizzle babies to the swap at the Covington Fairgrounds. I hope it's well attended cause I'm looking forward to seeing lots of neat birds.

Welcome back! How is everything?

Great! I just don't see the birds everyday because the run is at the new house location. (It's right next to my grandmas though so they aren't left there)

X2  You were MISSED!!

Thank you! I missed you guys to.

Lol. And I thought some of mine sounded funny.

Speaking of mine. We are planning to send the Roos to freezer camp in time for July 4th. I am debating on leaving one or two for protection. I'll be left with 8 hens. So you know what that means.....

Tried to upload a test photo from iphone. Won't let me either. I normally had to upload twice, but I tried 3 times and nothing. I think it's something on BYCs end though.

I dunno if it was this thread...I don't think so lol but imma gonna ask here cuz I trust you'll all laugh at me BUT still be nice and answer! Ok ...can one bring in a Roo just to Stud? Lol I'm not allowed roo's BUT would risk a very short time for fertile eggs...only have 4 hens ans only need say a dozen or so fertile...would a week with a Roo be enough time and would the hens stay fertile for a week of laying even after the Roo is back home?? (in general- lol I know some hens are a bit more selective/prudish lol)

I ask because an older gentleman I know who's been rescuing roo's rescued a stunning ameraucana roo that I'd love EEs from but wasn't sure if there was time (he said he was told the Roo is 3 years old if that matters?)
Yes it(stud servicing) is done quite frequently in the world of poultry breeding. Breeders do this to give the boys a break or switch them out from pen to pen to service different individual hens or small groups sometimes and too so they are not constantly harassing and tearing up the hens backs too. So yeah you can get the rooster and let him do his business for a few days and collect eggs from those actions for a week or so. 7-10 days is probly 'bout right

Jeff

Quick question :) I have put my eggie's in the the incubator, in the turner but I have it off. I've heard you wait 3 days to turn them if they were shipped. Do any of you follow this rule? if not how long should I wait before turning it on to let the egg "re-attach".

Have you candled them? You should be able to tell if any if the air sacs are detached. That is reasoning behind leaving the tuner off. However, I have been told by several people that have much more knowledge and experience than I, that improper turning, especially early on can cause development issues and/or problems during hatching. What kind of turner do you have? If the eggs are sitting up, then I think you should be fine. I set goose eggs - my first and only time with shipped eggs. I let them rest at room temp for about 12 hours. I wanted to do 24, but couldn't handle it anymore! :). I turned my turner on as soon as they hit the incubator. I hope that helps, and I course this is just how I did it. :)

Also - got the tiny diapers from "The Gooses Mother". Been looking at the adult versions and I'm thinking I could make my own. I could have made my own baby versions if I had of seen one in person. The pic online wasn't the greatest. But, now I know for sure that I can make the baby version easy peasy. :)

Great! I just don't see the birds everyday because the run is at the new house location. (It's right next to my grandmas though so they aren't left there)
Thank you! I missed you guys to.
Lol. And I thought some of mine sounded funny.

Speaking of mine. We are planning to send the Roos to freezer camp in time for July 4th. I am debating on leaving one or two for protection. I'll be left with 8 hens. So you know what that means.....

Tried to upload a test photo from iphone. Won't let me either. I normally had to upload twice, but I tried 3 times and nothing. I think it's something on BYCs end though.
Welcome back! good to see ground-breaking on the new house -- you'll be out here before you know it! What I've found in the past is that if I dispose of all of the roosters, a hen will assume the leadership role & she does just as good a job, so it's strictly a matter of opinion.

Thanks so much! I mentioned it to my hubby and he laughed and laughed at the idea of getting a playboy for the girls he called it and then booting him back to his old hen farm (roo I'd like to use lives on pasture with its own old flock if 7 year old hens, but u gotta catch him owner said Bahahahahaha so I wanted to make sure it was a possibility I could get some fertiles if timing it right). For now...chicks don't count for his chicken math, hehehehe I haven't started hiding chickies lol so the chicken fever isn't *that* bad yet O.O
Yes it(stud servicing) is done quite frequently in the world of poultry breeding. Breeders do this to give the boys a break or switch them out from pen to pen to service different individual hens or small groups sometimes and too so they are not constantly harassing and tearing up the hens backs too. So yeah you can get the rooster and let him do his business for a few days and collect eggs from those actions for a week or so. 7-10 days is probly 'bout right

Jeff

I haven't been here in a while and I apologize that I won't have enough time to catch up on the 600 posts that I've missed. Just wanted to come on and share some photos. If I leave the patio door open for just a few minutes, they run inside and stake their claim. They would probably come in the house if I let them.
Welcome back . Love the pics and especially LOVE the egg holder. That is neat !!! Don't stay away so long. :)

Back
Top Bottom