"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

The black one is a Black Star or sometimes called a Black Sex Link. I have two and they are sweet birds and laying machines.

I assumed black star, as my grandpa had several when I was little. But, there are so many breeds I've never heard of, so I wasn't sure. I assume the little gold one is a Cochin, since it's feet are feathered. No clue about the little black one with the white head. I've been told it looks like a game hen, that it's a bantam rooster of some sort, and my middle child suspected it to be a bald eagle. I posted pics of it and have had no replies as to what it is. I'd like to know, just out of curiosity, what Fred and the oddball are. My kids like the variety, so we really don't prefer any particular breed. But my older kids are interested in showing chickens at the parish fair or maybe 4-H. So, I guess I need to learn to discern sex and breed soon!

OK new ad going up at Petrus this week: and also available to any BYC La-yers' who are interested:

FREE TO GOOD HOME!

Flock Reduction: 10 hens, 1 rooster of varying ages and breeds. All are still laying. Some are older hens; some are pullets 7 months old. Breeds range from Welsummer to Cuckoo Maran, etc.
FREE. Come get them. PM me for details.

Last edited:
OK new ad going up at Petrus this week: and also available to any BYC La-yers' who are interested:

FREE TO GOOD HOME!

Flock Reduction:   10 hens, 1 rooster of varying ages and breeds. All are still laying. Some are older hens; some are pullets 7 months old. Breeds range from Welsummer to Cuckoo Maran, etc.
FREE. Come get them. PM me for details.

Wow Terri. Why are you reducing your flock?

After hearing / reading about the fermented feed I have decided to try it. I have a small flock and they waste as much as they eat so I am gonna try it. Started them om it today they seem to like it well and a whole lot less waste. Yeahhh. I also will be caponizing about ten cockerels in two weeks wish me luck haha. I also have a silver penciled rock about 4.5 months old for sale or trade in zachary if anyone is interested.

Would anyone in the Shreveport area be interested in a Mottled Java cockerel? We have two we need to rehome due to too many roos. Both born late February - neither is aggressive.

After hearing / reading about the fermented feed I have decided to try it. I have a small flock and they waste as much as they eat so I am gonna try it. Started them om it today they seem to like it well and a whole lot less waste. Yeahhh. I also will be caponizing about ten cockerels in two weeks wish me luck haha. I also have a silver penciled rock about 4.5 months old for sale or trade in zachary if anyone is interested.

Mine love it, I use crimpped oats, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar with the mother. Stinks bad but it seems the stinkier it is the more they like it.

Last edited:
Wow Terri. Why are you reducing your flock?
Just too many & want to cut back---- I want to keep a few of my younger pullets that I just hatched but I also want to re-home some of my older layers as well. I'm sending loads of eggs weekly to the Manna House kitchen - but that isn't doing a thing to cut back on my own feed bill - so some of them either have to go to new homes or to the freezer. I want to cut my flock down to around a dozen hens (have about 24 right now) - only need enough to get a dozen eggs a week. Not planning on raising any more here. Both of my Welsummer roos are also up for new homes (or else, freezer camp) I'm keeping my Cuckoo Marans roo.

I assumed black star, as my grandpa had several when I was little. But, there are so many breeds I've never heard of, so I wasn't sure. I assume the little gold one is a Cochin, since it's feet are feathered. No clue about the little black one with the white head. I've been told it looks like a game hen, that it's a bantam rooster of some sort, and my middle child suspected it to be a bald eagle. I posted pics of it and have had no replies as to what it is. I'd like to know, just out of curiosity, what Fred and the oddball are. My kids like the variety, so we really don't prefer any particular breed. But my older kids are interested in showing chickens at the parish fair or maybe 4-H. So, I guess I need to learn to discern sex and breed soon!
Fred looks to be a Buff Orpington the little white headed black is a Birchen pullet/hen looks to be Old English Game bantam or American game bantam or poss a mix of some sort but the color is called birchen and that particular pattern is the female color. Buff/gold girl looks Cochin yes.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom