"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

There's a forum on guineas here that has a lot of useful information. You need to hatch them yourself or get them as day olds so that they'll stay. They can be noisy - they make great watchdogs -- mine will sound off if anything strange comes on "their" property - stray dogs & cats even. They will gang up & circle & raise their alarm call. I love them - it's like having living, breathing comic strip characters. We've even had people stop to ask what they were. Peas will also attack snakes. Kuntrygirl has some peacock eggs incubating right now if you're interested. Peas are also very noisy!
I love noisy, LOL

Hey Terri and the rest of ya'll La-yers and BYCers too

Jeff

Last edited:
anyone here interested in Seramas? My 13 y.o. daughter got 9 chicks recently and 6 of those are roos! She has paid for all their upkeep and brooding cage and was hoping someone would make an offer on some. They are handled often and are really tame. She is willing to part with one pullet if someone takes 2 roos. They are beautiful and I believe are mostly class B - not the teeny ones but not huge. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures.

Thanks
There's a forum on guineas here that has a lot of useful information. You need to hatch them yourself or get them as day olds so that they'll stay. They can be noisy - they make great watchdogs -- mine will sound off if anything strange comes on "their" property - stray dogs & cats even. They will gang up & circle & raise their alarm call. I love them - it's like having living, breathing comic strip characters. We've even had people stop to ask what they were. Peas will also attack snakes. Kuntrygirl has some peacock eggs incubating right now if you're interested. Peas are also very noisy!

Thanks for all the info Terri! My son originally started this profile and has asked questions to help me but he doesn't keep up with replies so I guess ill have to take over or start one of my own! My mom and son are both on here so i suppose i need to jump on the bandwagon...lol. I wanted a pea because they would be a beautiful addition to our family but I've heard they can't be sexed so you aren't sure if it will be male or female. Can guineas be sexed? I'm doing my best to stick with all hens of sorts and already have males i am trying to find great and safe homes for. I have a gorgeous 7-8 mth old Wyandotte roo (he was purchased as a pullet!?!) that I am trying to find a home. He is proud and friendly but wanting to mate with my hens. He would produce beautiful offspring but I am not wanting to get into that (at this time anyways)! I also have a solid white silkie roo named Mr. Snowball. He has a gimpy leg and hops around like a little bunny. He is a total sweetheart! He does well with getting around but i baby him a bit and bring treats and water to him to make it easier on him. He shares his pen with a grey-ish silkie named Stella (maybe Sylvester but not sure yet...). She's really spunky and curious and determined to try to fly. They are absolutely precious and I hate to not keep them but I have learned that they have different needs than regular full sized chickens. I really don't have enough extra room to house two babies and I don't think they will go well into my coop with my hens! But I am determined to find a great home for them that won't put them on the menu for dinner!

All they need is shade to go to when desired and plenty of water close by so they can tank up often. I have never lost a bird due to Louisiana heat or cold. I have raised many and have had many (thousands literally)

Jeff

they won't drink the water if it is over their body temps so keep it in the shade too, no need for frozen water jugs just ambient water is fine.

Jeff, thank you for this post. I relaxed some after reading it. My bunnies are in the shade and the chickens range where there is lots of shade. I change their water two times a day because it gets warm even though the water is in the shade and I have two big fans running 24/7. I put put frozen bottles but they are still panting and have their wings out so I know they are hot. But at least I'll quit worrying about them now. Thanks so much.

Jeff, thank you for this post. I relaxed some after reading it. My bunnies are in the shade and the chickens range where there is lots of shade. I change their water two times a day because it gets warm even though the water is in the shade and I have two big fans running 24/7. I put put frozen bottles but they are still panting and have their wings out so I know they are hot. But at least I'll quit worrying about them now. Thanks so much.

Yeah if you have the water in the shade it is good, usually. A quick test is to stick your finger in it if it is cool to the touch it is ok I find this the norm if it is not then it is at some time exposed to sun rays J/S
The way I see the frozen water is alright if you want to do it I did n't mean not to do it. A person can do so as they will but here's a point to it if you have those birds used to this sorta setup then you have to make for sure for sure you keep at it (acclimation) I don't want mine relying on me to bring them frozen water as I might forget(likely so) but the more reason what if it just simply can't be done(sick, accidentally forget, or just out of sorts at the time) then you will have a dilemma for sure.

Jeff

ETA besides the pain in the kadoche part of it is I put out 25+ gallons of water daily, too, J/S

Last edited:

My new additions

Yeah if you have the water in the shade it is good, usually. A quick test is to stick your finger in it if it is cool to the touch it is ok I find this the norm if it is not then it is at some time exposed to sun rays J/S

The way I see the frozen water is alright if you want to do it I did n't mean not to do it. A person can do so as they will but here's a point to it if you have those birds used to this sorta setup then you have to make for sure for sure you keep at it (acclimation) I don't want mine relying on me to bring them frozen water as I might forget(likely so) but the more reason what if it just simply can't be done(sick, accidentally forget, or just out of sorts at the time) then you will have a dilemma for sure.

Jeff

ETA besides the pain in the kadoche part of it is I put out 25+ gallons of water daily, too, J/S

Thanks. Yesterday I saw one of my panting hens sitting in the mud from watering some plants. I just feel so sorry for them. I appreciate that you let me know I am doing the best and they will be ok. I moved all water where the sun can't hit it for sure as it moves across the sky.

Back
Top Bottom