"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hi everyone! :frow

Camp is finally over and I've almost been able to catch my breath! Farm camp was a HUGE SUCCESS this year and so much of a part of everything we did. We even took out staff pic at the coop!

I wanted to sincerely thank you all for mentoring me through these past two years. I could not have done any of this without your encouragement and support. Who knew I would be here from starting with five mixed chicks in a dog crate in my back yard?? It is because of this site and the friends I've made that I could reach out to hundreds of kids this year, to let them feed chickens and hold warm eggs. Some kids got to watch eggs hatch. Lots got to see broodies and babies and get candling lessons. It was seriously just the best summer.

Terri, I don't know if you remembered but a dog got into my chickens last year. I lost several of the ones if got from you, but the rooster survived and is the most gentle, most gorgeous boy!

Two of the three HRIR hens went broody and were EXCELLENT mothers. The BCM also went broody and did well.

Now since both my kids are in school, I'm going to focus on full-time farming and crafting. There's a link to my new Facebook page in my signature; please go look around and tell me what you think! Also please let me know if I have anything you like... I'm over 100 birds right now and need to get back around 25-30.

It's not work if you love it!! :love

Your camp is so awesome! I love it!

Hey Camping. Just want to say congratulations to your success. You've put a lot of time and hard work in your endeavor and it is paying off. I'm glad to have been a witness to you sharing your triumphs. Cody.

Hey, fellow Louisianians, how are y'all's birds handling the water?

Praying for y'all getting water in the houses. My parents have 4 feet of water in their home and vehicles :( Stay safe.

Last edited:
Thinking of everyone during this flooding. I know so many affected and the water is still rising. The town I live in is an island surrounded by others that have flooded. My aunt woke up to thigh high water in her home and had to evacuate. She and her family are safe in Texas but have lost everything

Our house and shop took water, we had to call for boats to come get us. Our entire road is now part of redwood creek. Don't know about the coops/chickens yet, will prolly be Monday or Tuesday before we can get back in. We are still luckier than most. Y'all stay safe.

So sorry to hear this Lakones. Glad ya'll made it out safely. Hope your animals are ok.

Amazingly we got back in yesterday. Had about 5" in apt, 10" in house, 30" in shop, 24-30" in coops. So far I've lost 5 juvies but some more of them didn't look so good. I was able to feed them yesterday so hopefully they will ok.
When we got there all was quiet so I wasn't sure but as soon as my favorite rooster heard my voice he started crowing and wouldn't stop. I let him and his girls out to free range and he went strait to finding worms for the girls.

Amazingly we got back in yesterday. Had about 5" in apt, 10" in house, 30" in shop, 24-30" in coops. So far I've lost 5 juvies but some more of them didn't look so good. I was able to feed them yesterday so hopefully they will ok.
When we got there all was quiet so I wasn't sure but as soon as my favorite rooster heard my voice he started crowing and wouldn't stop. I let him and his girls out to free range and he went strait to finding worms for the girls.

So glad to read that some of your boys and girls are ok. Sorry for the losses and devastation. The water is just starting to get her. Stay safe and strong!

Back
Top Bottom