"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hows everyone been, did everyone get a lot of rain yesterday?

Poo what a long day. Came home for lunch, one stag got out of pen and fought another one through the wire. Busted there legs all up. I had to chase the loose one and pen him. Slipped in the mud all wet and every thing, had to hurry up and change and eat to still make it back to work in time. Come home doctor them both up catch all the free range stags left on the yard. All 66 birds caught and done for the year. Didnt come in till about 8:30. I might have to let a few hens free range though, I love watching them out on the yard.

How's everyone been doing doing? Been so busy lately just haven't had much time to get on here. Missed a lot of
post but did go back a few pages to catch up just a little.
We got rain yesterday but not too much. Got just enough to give the ground a real good soaking. Just in time I guess. I had plans to get up Monday morning to start hooking up my sprinkler system in the fall garden. Got peas,turnips,mustards,collards,rutabagas,radishes,beets,and carrots planted and all coming up and really needed the rain.
I have about 1/2 an acre planted to hopefully harvest and about the rest in cover crops. Trying out some organic fertilizers on this fall garden that we are going to harvest and wishing for the best. If we can make it pay off we are leaning to going organic on the gardens.We have found a supplier though for the organic fertilizer and I was actually able to get it cheaper than regular chemical fertilizer.
Oh,also have cabbage (green and purple) broccoli,and cauliflower planted. Those will be mainly for the family to use being that I did not plant much of them. And about 4/50' rows of green onions.
So I guess since spring all we have been doing over this way is gardening.

How's everyone been doing doing? Been so busy lately just haven't had much time to get on here. Missed a lot of
post but did go back a few pages to catch up just a little.
We got rain yesterday but not too much. Got just enough to give the ground a real good soaking. Just in time I guess. I had plans to get up Monday morning to start hooking up my sprinkler system in the fall garden. Got peas,turnips,mustards,collards,rutabagas,radishes,beets,and carrots planted and all coming up and really needed the rain.
I have about 1/2 an acre planted to hopefully harvest and about the rest in cover crops. Trying out some organic fertilizers on this fall garden that we are going to harvest and wishing for the best. If we can make it pay off we are leaning to going organic on the gardens.We have found a supplier though for the organic fertilizer and I was actually able to get it cheaper than regular chemical fertilizer.
Oh,also have cabbage (green and purple) broccoli,and cauliflower planted. Those will be mainly for the family to use being that I did not plant much of them. And about 4/50' rows of green onions.
So I guess since spring all we have been doing over this way is gardening.

Here ya go Gracie I knew there was someone else on the La-yers bunch that has Coronation Sussex.

guru I was thinking about you a bunch a few weeks back with all the goings-on weather-wise. I presume all is good and fine over that way now?

Jeff

Hows everyone been, did everyone get a lot of rain yesterday?

Poo what a long day. Came home for lunch, one stag got out of pen and fought another one through the wire. Busted there legs all up. I had to chase the loose one and pen him. Slipped in the mud all wet and every thing, had to hurry up and change and eat to still make it back to work in time. Come home doctor them both up catch all the free range stags left on the yard. All 66 birds caught and done for the year. Didnt come in till about 8:30. I might have to let a few hens free range though, I love watching them out on the yard.

Good Cadjien,
what are ya gonna do with 66 stags do you have a market for such? Just curious( being nosey)
hide.gif
LOL

I saw your pics the other day on the Game thread on here. Very nice birds I still just have the 2, a male and a female Amer. Game but have a few more young stags coming here in a few weeks whenever the boy can lure them into captivity. He says he "ain't"climbing any pine trees to get them LOL I'm going to put my one male and female together as soon as I ever catch her not being broody I never catch her in between broods and setting for laying. Heck, I don't know if she does lay, if so, it can't be many because as soon as she's done rearing chicks shes back "hot to trot" again. Man!

Ok keep up the good work, they(Games) are one of my favorite types to look at and if I wasn't so wrapped up in all these heritage types and "umpteen dozen" egg-layers, I'd surely have more Games to mess with for sure.

Jeff

Jeff...we did okay over this way. Only got about 12 inches of rain and lost power for 5 days. Now the after effects are hitting us. We have mosquitos that
I would almost swear have landing gears they are so big. My son had me pick up several citronella candle pots and that has helped out a lot.
Now the main problem is an infestation of fall army worms. As long as they keep eating the grass and stay out of the garden I am gonna let them eat all
that they want to.

I need to get a larger incubator for the spring hatch, but just can't bring myself to part with $750.00 for a good cabinet incubator. I was thinking about finding an old minifridge and making a DIY incubator. Incubator Warehouse has this great looking kit:

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/225-watt-cabinet-incukit.html

Problem is that I can't find more than a couple reviews. They do have a one year guarantee, so I guess I could just return it if it doesn't work out. What do y'all think? Go big or go cheap?

Back
Top Bottom