Maine

That is next to do tomorrow along with doing the eves with the hardware cloth. There is plexiglass over the window that is removable for summer. Also still have my door to build. Built the chickens door today.

FREE Welsummer Roo. I lost my Welsummer hen to a fox attack the other day, so I'd like to give my Welly roo to someone that might want to add some genetic diversity to their flock. He's not show quality or registered and has some imperfections (3 stray white feathers). He's still a juvenile (maybe around 28 weeks or so, but is docile and has not been a bad guy thus far.

Send me a message if interested.

Still available. I also have an Ameraucana roo that I'd like to pass on to someone that needs one.

Picked up some BEAUTIFUL blue/lilac easter eggers last night. Just waiting until the hatchery opens so I can get my order fixed and then hopefully that'll be it this year for chicks. Unless the feed store next week doesn't have anything crazy appealing.. and I don't go look at more ducklings later.

Another question: just hardware clothed the outside open eves of my coop. Should I also put it in the inside of the eves? That was a nightmare. I used fencing nails the U shaped things. Can't see nothing tearing those out. If so it will have to be a coon on steroids. Haha

Our first close encounter with a predator today. The chickens were out in a large fenced-in area attached to their secure run. I heard a commotion and came out to find everyone diving into the run. Two missed the door, and I chased them in. I was about to lock them up and investigate the area when I saw movement in the underbrush. Five chickens had made themselves invisible out there, and made a sudden dash for the run. There were some loose feathers on the ground, but everyone was okay. Soon after we noticed a large hawk soaring low around the area. I left the chickens locked up for the rest of the afternoon. I did see the hawk soaring low a few hours later. I hope it doesn't spend the whole summer pestering us.

My youngest daughter and I encountered a bear this evening! We were making our way back up from collecting eggs with daughter talking her sweet chatter the whole time and all of a sudden I grabbed her hand and stopped. Bear was standing right in the driveway leading to my chickens and hog! I told daughter if I told her to run snd hide she had better hide fast. It was still small enough to have momma around so I was on high alert. It turned around and slowly started walking away, we went forward and it ran down the slope towards the neighbor farther across the road. I sent daughter running up to the house before yelling and clapping to get the bear further down the road. None of my coops are bear proof! We were just laughing at two buff girls trying to go broody in one nest box too.

Back
Top Bottom