Maine

The Aubuchon's in Lisbon has them. Not terribly close to Freepoort, but in the Sabattus there is a great little farm that has lots of chicks.

Imagine the chick fuzz left in that comforter afterwards! After having lost a chick or two from being pushed around and losing their air hole I started doing the basket thing on top of the chick. Then again I also move chicks to the brooder when it has been an hour or two after they hatch or when they get fluffed/are too active to stay in the bator. As for the humidity dropping- I add warm water if needed but since humidity goes up when one hatches a quick snatch 'n close doesn't affect it. Remember that a momma hen doesn't hatch chicks in a sterile temp/humidity controlled box, she moves and the weather changes too:)

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the comforter/heating pad system. As long as the brooder is warm, it seems just as suitable for them to rest and dry off in there.
I do open the incubator if it gets really crowded, but my last hatch I ended up with one shrink-wrapped, so I try to hold off as much as I can.
The shrink-wrapped chick lived and is fine, but I had to help her hatch, and then hold her under a heat lamp while I painstakingly washed off the membrane using a q-tip.

The comforter would obviously be something that was not going to see human use again. Just an idea to give them a warm dark resting spot, kind of like an artificial broody. Still holding at one out, 10 - 11 pipped. Humidity 49%. I'm going to let it go a bit dryer this time as I think there's going to be quite a bit of natural moisture when things get rolling.

I was wondering how I could make my Cochins go broody? She was last summer in August but I'd like to put some Sebastopol geese eggs under her cuz I was told there hard to incubate
Also, if a person never removed a roosters spur before, is it to late to do it if he's 15months now?

Last edited:
Well candle session done. My own eggs look good. My shipped Ameruacana eggs look weird. Some air cells look ok but not sure there is anything going on. Others are dark as if they are closer to lock down than day7... trying to be optimistic. ..but definitely different looking. ..

First chick hatched at 4 PM.  9 hours from first visible pip.  7 more pipped.  7 year old is busy singing and playing the harmonica to her.
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

Barred Rock roo up for grabs. I don't care if he's going to be bred, used for chicken tv, or put in a crock pot. He's only around 7 mo old but I'm sick of his attitude. He has no spurs, and suffered some frostbite on his comb but other than that he's really not a bad lookin guy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom