Maine

I did a little research yesterday and I like Sussex, wyanotte and buff orpington.They are pretty, dual purpose and hardy to winter. Found someone who processes chickens so that's good. I have a question. I know most of you are hatching your own eggs/chicks but I don't think I can yet so is Mcmurray good for my purposes. I don't know enough to be picky yet.I just want healthy chicks. Oh man we just lost power!

Last edited:
McMurray is decent- Just order baby chicks- don't pay the extra money for started pullets..... the ones they send are much younger than 16 weeks.

And can I just order a couple of each from them?
You can mix and match any breeds they have available for the shipping date, but the minimum order after April 1st is 15 chicks.

The smallest minimum order hatchery I know of is Meyer Hatchery which I think the minimum order is 3 starting April 1st.
(Also a good hatchery)

I think MyPetChicken.com also has a very small minimum order but I've never ordered from them.

Depending on where you are Knights in Augusta and Aubuchon in Waterville will allow you to preorder 6 chicks (of varying types) from the hatchery they mass order from. You just pick up your order when it comes in with the rest.

I can't recall where I'm splitting an order with someone from - Longhorn, maybe? I think they do the same thing.

I can do it at Woodsome's Feed and Need in Waterboro but I don't think they have very many kinds. I can check it out on Thursday. Thanks.maybe Longhorns has more . I'll check them too.

Last edited:
Longhorn did have orpingtons, Wyandottes and Sussex on their list, but only orpingtons are left for preorder (along with some other breeds). This is a late time of year to order. You'll definitely be able to find chicks somewhere, but selection thins out quickly.

Hey everyone! I've been MIA for so long and feel terrible about returning only to plea. I finally have finances in place to get some ducks and do you think I can find any locally? Nope. I'm not even that picky in regards to breed. Just 2 or 3 established ladies (6 months to 2 years old) that don't fly. If anyone has any or knows someone, I'd love to hear from you. I'm in Fryeburg and forced to stay within 45 minutes of home (7 months pregnant with twins). Anyways, missed you all and I promise to swing by later to catch up.
Super, double congratulations!!! Too bad you weren't closer. I'd offer to hatch some for you if we could scrounge up the eggs.

I did a little research yesterday and I like Sussex, wyanotte and buff orpington.They are pretty, dual purpose and hardy to winter. Found someone who processes chickens so that's good. I have a question. I know most of you are hatching your own eggs/chicks but I don't think I can yet so is Mcmurray good for my purposes. I don't know enough to be picky yet.I just want healthy chicks. Oh man we just lost power!
I've gotten chicks from MMc several times. Pre-order to local hardware/feed store. The quality was ok. There's a lot of negative feed back on the chick thread regarding MMc and the fact that they ship on the weekend, with folks feeling that the chicks are left sitting somewhere on a Sunday. I'd look into that before placing an order with them. I'm not sure if the fact that there's no Sunday delivery means that the mail doesn't move on Sunday. Personally, I'd feel better if my chicks were traveling in the middle of the week, and scheduled to arrive on a Thursday or Friday.

Super, double congratulations!!! Too bad you weren't closer. I'd offer to hatch some for you if we could scrounge up the eggs.
I've actually got a bunch of Blue Swedish in the bator now, but I was hoping to sell them to buy laying ducks. It's funny, last year I had a hard time selling duck eggs, this year people are breaking down the door to get them. I have a huge wait list and only 2 females to try and fill orders. The ducklings are due to hatch next weekend and the chicks are hatching this Saturday. I am a total hatch-a-holic :) This is my first year with a real incubator. I had a DIY one that worked great at first, but stopped performing well as the season wrapped up.

Back
Top Bottom