Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Ok, great! Mine was at 101 when I checked last, and I assumed that was warm enough. I hope so, because it was on the highest setting.
Most infrared thermometers aren’t suuuper accurate, and at least my heating pad seems to have warmer spots (probably right where the heating element runs). But my store-bought chicks have never had issues. I set mine up angled so the back is a bit lower and that way they can find the height they want. Still make sure they can escape out the back though - you want “emergency exits” so no one gets trapped behind other chicks and overheats.

Most infrared thermometers aren’t suuuper accurate, and at least my heating pad seems to have warmer spots (probably right where the heating element runs). But my store-bought chicks have never had issues. I set mine up angled so the back is a bit lower and that way they can find the height they want. Still make sure they can escape out the back though - you want “emergency exits” so no one gets trapped behind other chicks and overheats.
Dang, I do not have an emergency exit. I’ll mess with it a little this evening. Thank you!

Dang, I do not have an emergency exit. I’ll mess with it a little this evening. Thank you!
I plunk it down basically in the middle of one side of the brooder, with food and water about 6 inches from the opening foe the first couple days. Then as everyone gets older and less stupid (and messier), I move the food and water farther and farther away until it’s on the other half of the brooder. Just in case of spills.

I plunk it down basically in the middle of one side of the brooder, with food and water about 6 inches from the opening foe the first couple days. Then as everyone gets older and less stupid (and messier), I move the food and water farther and farther away until it’s on the other half of the brooder. Just in case of spills.
Ok, cool. This is helpful, thank you! I plan to only put food and water at one end, is that ok?

Ok, cool. This is helpful, thank you! I plan to only put food and water at one end, is that ok?
Just keep an eye on everyone and make sure they are finding it. I usually try to see each chick take a drink at least before I leave them alone. And I check everyone for pastey butt each day - but using the heating pad and feeding them crumble “mash” (mix with water until applesauce or oatmeal consistency), I don’t deal with that hardly at all.

Just keep an eye on everyone and make sure they are finding it. I usually try to see each chick take a drink at least before I leave them alone. And I check everyone for pastey butt each day - but using the heating pad and feeding them crumble “mash” (mix with water until applesauce or oatmeal consistency), I don’t deal with that hardly at all.
Thank you!! So mash instead of just dry crumble? Just to get extra fluid and make it easier to digest?

Thank you!! So mash instead of just dry crumble? Just to get extra fluid and make it easier to digest?
Yup! The first week at least they seem to eat more and with less trouble if I mix it with water. And even when older, they think it is a fantastic “treat” 🤣

Anyway, feel free to message with any questions. Don’t want to get too off topic on the thread

Yup! The first week at least they seem to eat more and with less trouble if I mix it with water. And even when older, they think it is a fantastic “treat” 🤣

Anyway, feel free to message with any questions. Don’t want to get too off topic on the thread
Ok! Thank you again!! ❤️

I have a question for this experienced community.
I have chicks that are 18 days old. They have been in my bathroom with a heat plate.
Today I moved them out to the coop where I have a built in brooder box/hospital ward.
I have electricity in the coop so the heat plate has moved out with them.
I have tried multiple times today to show them where to find their heat plate - it is the same as the one they have had all along but the brooder box is bigger and things are in different places.
They could not be less interested.
The temperature in the coop is 57F and they have been running around all day not trying to warm up at all.
Tonight it will drop to about 42F.
All the information you read on line says they need to be at about 84F at this age. And I totally get they can run out in the cold and then come back to warm up - but they aren’t doing the warming up bit!
I am trying to decide what to do tonight.
My thought was that if they were still outside the heat cave after dark I would scoop them up and put them under it.
Or I could bring them back into the bathroom for the night.
The heat plate is warm to the touch but I have no idea how it will perform at 42F.
Any suggestions? I am not worrying about the 84F issue because they are clearly fine right now at 57F. They are running around and eating and chasing each other. It is the night I am worrying about.

Back
Top Bottom