Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Welcome!
So sorry for your losses, and I agree that open on all sides, and higher on one side than the other, works best. And I like to have plenty of space, so a larger brooder plate is also good.
Also, the chicks we've ordered from cackle, so they are shipped and stressed, are under a heat lamp for a couple of days, as recommended by the hatchery. We too lost a couple of chicks the first time we used a brooder plate, which was actually too hot for them until we adjusted it's temperature.
Mary
Mine is open on either end, one side a little lower than the other, but I'm going to see about modifying it so they can get out the sides as well. I'd use my heating plate too but I only have one plug going out in the coop. 😕

was going to use the heating plate I bought that said it would hold more than 12 chicks but it was smaller than the pad I'm using now, so I'm glad I didn't.
The plates have inaccurate population claims, just like prefab coops do.
What size is the pad and how is it configured(flat or curved/cave)?

The plates have inaccurate population claims, just like prefab coops do.
What size is the pad and how is it configured(flat or curved/cave)?
Like I said, the pad is 12x15. I have it curved so it's more like a cave but I just went out tonight and bent up some of the legs on the sides so they hopefully have a way out now. I also folded the padding I had draped over the top so it doesn't block the sides anymore. I'll probably get a bigger pad seeing as how they're only going to get bigger from here on out.

Like I said, the pad is 12x15. I have it curved so it's more like a cave but I just went out tonight and bent up some of the legs on the sides so they hopefully have a way out now. I also folded the padding I had draped over the top so it doesn't block the sides anymore. I'll probably get a bigger pad seeing as how they're only going to get bigger from here on out.
I have the 12x15 and the 12x24, I've never had more than 9 chicks under the 12x15, but I've had 15 under the 12x24 (I always keep it away from the wall so they have plenty of room to get out and air flow) I'm sorry about the chicks you lost! ❤️

I have the 12x15 and the 12x24, I've never had more than 9 chicks under the 12x15, but I've had 15 under the 12x24 (I always keep it away from the wall so they have plenty of room to get out and air flow) I'm sorry about the chicks you lost! ❤️
That's helpful! Even though I'm down to 9 now, I'm probably going to go get the bigger pad tomorrow just in case. They're only a week old and getting bigger by the day!

That's helpful! Even though I'm down to 9 now, I'm probably going to go get the bigger pad tomorrow just in case. They're only a week old and getting bigger by the day!
I got my 12x24 on Amazon. 9 heat settings and has the stay on feature. I love it. I start with it on around 8. My chicks are still inside, until tomorrow, and are 2 weeks old and it is down to 4. When they go out I may bump it up a bit since it is colder outside, but normally by the time they are 3-4 weeks it is set to 1 in case they want it. It is the comforttemp brand. Think $20-22 on Amazon

Geez, Sorry, musta missed the size.

Flat will give you room for more chicks.
Adjustable legs will give better management as they grow.
Remember they need to touch their backs to the pad.
Plain cardboard top and smaller mesh support will mean less trappings.
I dinked around with a couple different designs, lost a couple chicks along the way, came up with this winner:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

I'd use 2 also. And I'm so sorry about the chick losses when you're courageous enough to do this. Sure hope you don't get discouraged. The first 2 years that I used a MHP with a wire hen like frame that I made from fencing wire, sure enough I had 2 stressful events where chicks managed to get up in there, I imagined like crawling up into mom's wing. So as much as I wanted a curved middle, hammock like, I took a queue from aarts design using the tiny bungies where heat pad is flat. I think it's really close enough to a hen even without the curve. Certainly closer than a constant red hot lamp! You'll get your design perfected I'm sure! ENJOY! :jumpy

Geez, Sorry, musta missed the size.

Flat will give you room for more chicks.
Adjustable legs will give better management as they grow.
Remember they need to touch their backs to the pad.
Plain cardboard top and smaller mesh support will mean less trappings.
I dinked around with a couple different designs, lost a couple chicks along the way, came up with this winner:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
Sorry, I hope I didn't sound snippy. Totally not my intention. I bought the 12x24" today and found a better, bigger frame to put it on so now they have 4 open sides. I'm just kicking myself for not realizing sooner that they'd need a bigger pad. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'd use 2 also. And I'm so sorry about the chick losses when you're courageous enough to do this. Sure hope you don't get discouraged. The first 2 years that I used a MHP with a wire hen like frame that I made from fencing wire, sure enough I had 2 stressful events where chicks managed to get up in there, I imagined like crawling up into mom's wing. So as much as I wanted a curved middle, hammock like, I took a queue from aarts design using the tiny bungies where heat pad is flat. I think it's really close enough to a hen even without the curve. Certainly closer than a constant red hot lamp! You'll get your design perfected I'm sure! ENJOY! :jumpy
Not discouraged at all! Just kicking myself for learning the hard way. I got them all set up tonight with a new pad 12x24". The first one was cave like, open on only 2 sides. This one is flat and opened on all 4 sides. Both had/have the pad covered in press and seal, bungied underneath the wire frame so their backs can press right up to it. I then duct taped the top of the wire frame so they wouldn't get caught again and put a blanket covered with press and seal over the top.

Back
Top Bottom