Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

All the information you read on line says they need to be at about 84F at this age.
Bah, don't pay any attention to that, especially when using a plate/pad.

My thought was that if they were still outside the heat cave after dark I would scoop them up and put them under it.
Yep. Might have to hold them under until they feel the warmth.

Bah, don't pay any attention to that, especially when using a plate/pad.

Yep. Might have to hold them under until they feel the warmth.
That’s a good idea. And I may be able to hold them in after dark. I tried during the morning and they are so darn fast they were out as soon as I put them under.
As far as I can tell they are fine at the moment. They are peeping a lot but more like excitement at finding food and digging holes than that distress sound.

That’s a good idea. And I may be able to hold them in after dark. I tried during the morning and they are so darn fast they were out as soon as I put them under.
As far as I can tell they are fine at the moment. They are peeping a lot but more like excitement at finding food and digging holes than that distress sound.
I brood mine outside from a few days old with a MHP. Most times they are all running all over and don't really warm up or sit on the top of it. I am guessing where it is new they want to explore. They may have run under really quick to warm up and then back out again to explore more. If you showed them where it was and they ran out then I would guess they are fine. I would check at night and they will most likely be under there then, if not you can put them under.

Chicks are quite smart! Here is a long story I will try to make short. I have a brooder in my coop. I have 2 chick doors that are open right now so the 3 & 6 weeks old have run of the coop (and run if they want) but can run back in where the big ones can't go if they need to. Well a broody hatched out a chick on Wed morning. Well yesterday the broody went out into the run, baby didn't follow so she went back in, then walked off again and again baby didn't go there yet (still too young to leave the coop). Well I had mom and baby set up in a plastic nest box since my Reg nest boxes have a big lip on them that the baby can't get into yet..... Well when the broody came back in she went in a reg nest box NOT the plastic one. So baby ran around the coop. I was at work and have a camera in there. I got home and mama was in the plastic box so figured she had the baby with her. Looked and no baby. Freaked for a bit, watched the camera back to be sure that it wasn't attacked by one of the other big ones. It went out of view of the camera. So just to be sure I figured I would look under the MHP in the brooder....... Yup there was the 1 day old chick snuggled up with the older ones! It somehow found the chick door and found the MHP for warmth and went under there! I have ZERO clue how as it has never used it or been shown it by me. Guessing it followed the other chicks????

I brood mine outside from a few days old with a MHP. Most times they are all running all over and don't really warm up or sit on the top of it. I am guessing where it is new they want to explore. They may have run under really quick to warm up and then back out again to explore more. If you showed them where it was and they ran out then I would guess they are fine. I would check at night and they will most likely be under there then, if not you can put them under.

Chicks are quite smart! Here is a long story I will try to make short. I have a brooder in my coop. I have 2 chick doors that are open right now so the 3 & 6 weeks old have run of the coop (and run if they want) but can run back in where the big ones can't go if they need to. Well a broody hatched out a chick on Wed morning. Well yesterday the broody went out into the run, baby didn't follow so she went back in, then walked off again and again baby didn't go there yet (still too young to leave the coop). Well I had mom and baby set up in a plastic nest box since my Reg nest boxes have a big lip on them that the baby can't get into yet..... Well when the broody came back in she went in a reg nest box NOT the plastic one. So baby ran around the coop. I was at work and have a camera in there. I got home and mama was in the plastic box so figured she had the baby with her. Looked and no baby. Freaked for a bit, watched the camera back to be sure that it wasn't attacked by one of the other big ones. It went out of view of the camera. So just to be sure I figured I would look under the MHP in the brooder....... Yup there was the 1 day old chick snuggled up with the older ones! It somehow found the chick door and found the MHP for warmth and went under there! I have ZERO clue how as it has never used it or been shown it by me. Guessing it followed the other chicks????
What a great story!
I think you are in MA so can I assume your experience of them outside includes at temperatures of 40F and below?

All the information you read on line says they need to be at about 84F at this age.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

but they aren’t doing the warming up bit!
Because apparently they don't need it when you are watching them.

My thought was that if they were still outside the heat cave after dark I would scoop them up and put them under it.
You could give that a try

they are so darn fast they were out as soon as I put them under.
Maybe it is TOO warm inside?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet
Ha ha. Indeed not.
Don't ever let anyone talk about herding cats - herding baby chicks is much harder.
I managed to persuade them to go under the heat plate just before dark. They can easily get out, or get partially out, so I don't think they will get too hot. But for now, all is peace and quiet. I know I won't be able to help myself and will check on them again just before going to bed, but I am much more relaxed about it having read all your responses, so thank you!
Ha! Just checked my camera and two of them have stuck their heads out from under the cave - but their bodies are under so I think they are where they want to be.

Ha ha. Indeed not.
Don't ever let anyone talk about herding cats - herding baby chicks is much harder.
I managed to persuade them to go under the heat plate just before dark. They can easily get out, or get partially out, so I don't think they will get too hot. But for now, all is peace and quiet. I know I won't be able to help myself and will check on them again just before going to bed, but I am much more relaxed about it having read all your responses, so thank you!
Ha! Just checked my camera and two of them have stuck their heads out from under the cave - but their bodies are under so I think they are where they want to be.
Quick update that may be useful for other equally anxious chick parents.
Temperatures went down to 42 as expected. Everyone was fine.
One of them came out of the cave and got lost in the dark. She started frantic distress calls. Before I could put on a coat to go help, her sisters had guided her back into the cave in the dark.
Everyone is out of the heat cave and peppy this morning.

Back
Top Bottom