Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

What are everyone's recommendations for best waterers? I'm about to lose my mind over the number of times I refill my chick's water every day bc of the amount of pine shavings it gets caked with. And I'm starting to be concerned they may not be getting enough water because of it. I'm thinking of possibly switching to sand in the brooder. They launch the shavings off if the MHP all day, it's their favorite thing to do! I've only got 4 chicks and they're about 3 1/2 weeks old.
Just put something under the waterer like a plate, pie pan, or piece of wood. And move it far enough from the heating pad that they aren't sending the shavings on top into the water.

Thanks @merrymouse! I actually wanted to use a nipple waterer from the start but I couldn't come across one that I thought would fit and work well in the brooder, do you have a link for one?

I built mine. Juice bottle, galvanized electric fence wire to hang it, nipple in cap, poke a hole in the bottom (to prevent a vacuum forming). ETA: I use the push-in style with the rubber gasket. That's the kind you want for thin-walled containers like caps or buckets.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I meant to mention in my original post that I have raised it and it's as far away from the MHP as it can be but these chicks are kicking around the shavings like it's their job!
I've tried lots of different things, and besides just realizing that I need to change their water 2-3 times a day the best thing is to be able to raise it up as the chicks grow. I have a series of tiles and little landscape bricks that I can stack to accomplish this. It helps.

I actually got these chick watering stands for this batch of chicks, and they help some (though not entirely - once the chicks get old enough, they can kick bedding 2 feet up in the air and clear across a 6 foot brooder. BUT - they are BIG (WAY big), they are expensive, and they get caked with poop. (The photo must have literally been taken seconds after putting it in place). I already have them, so I am using them, and they work fine for that caveat, but you could try to make something similar with coated hardware cloth, I suppose (if you can rig something that protected the cut ends) - similar to what folks use for ducking brooding. That way you can size it correctly. (Seriously - they are bigger than you think and take up lots of room.)

- Ant farm

What are everyone's recommendations for best waterers? I'm about to lose my mind over the number of times I refill my chick's water every day bc of the amount of pine shavings it gets caked with. And I'm starting to be concerned they may not be getting enough water because of it. I'm thinking of possibly switching to sand in the brooder. They launch the shavings off if the MHP all day, it's their favorite thing to do! I've only got 4 chicks and they're about 3 1/2 weeks old.

I have my waterer on a brick. Gets shavings every now and then, but not caked on there like it used to.

Exactly - brick or bricks work well (and are easy to clean later)...
I second the recommendation for bricks, but I ended up mostly using overturned terra-cotta flowerpots - we have lots of different shapes and sizes floating around here. Our first chicks were in the brooder for an eternity and the flowerpots worked really well.

Quote:
Thanks! I meant to mention in my original post that I have raised it and it's as far away from the MHP as it can be but these chicks are kicking around the shavings like it's their job!
I've tried lots of different things, and besides just realizing that I need to change their water 2-3 times a day the best thing is to be able to raise it up as the chicks grow. I have a series of tiles and little landscape bricks that I can stack to accomplish this. It helps.

I actually got these chick watering stands for this batch of chicks, and they help some (though not entirely - once the chicks get old enough, they can kick bedding 2 feet up in the air and clear across a 6 foot brooder. BUT - they are BIG (WAY big), they are expensive, and they get caked with poop. (The photo must have literally been taken seconds after putting it in place). I already have them, so I am using them, and they work fine for that caveat, but you could try to make something similar with coated hardware cloth, I suppose (if you can rig something that protected the cut ends) - similar to what folks use for ducking brooding. That way you can size it correctly. (Seriously - they are bigger than you think and take up lots of room.)

- Ant farm
I like it, and I like your idea of trying to make one.

Back
Top Bottom