Mandarin Duck Eggs: Artificial Versus Natural Incubation

If anyone is interested, I'm creating a site/forum for those who raise and breed mandarin ducks. Its currently under construction and not really "open to the public"... but the forum is up and functional if anyone would like to join in advance. You can find it here: www.mandarinbreeders.com

Quote:
When are your mandarin eggs due to hatch? Good luck and keep us posted!

By the end of the month and 1st week of next month. Thanks!

That's exciting. My first batch of 6 white mandarins are due to hatch on the 1st or 2nd of next month as well.

I got 4 Mandarin eggs (normal color) from ebay. So far, when I candled--- about day 7/8?--- all 4 were developing. I have them in my cabinet incubator with other eggs, but maybe I should put them in my brinsea octagon incubator? Or put half in one, half in the other? I may buy some more eggs if I can find them at a good price because I think the odds are against getting a male and a female out of only 4 eggs.....

Alright, I candled the 13 mandarin eggs that I gave to my broody cochin hen last week. Out of 13 eggs, 11 of them are developing. That's an 85% fertility rate... far better that the first batch which were started artificially in an incubator. Those 6 eggs are still developing and are scheduled to hatch in about a week. I transferred the other 13 eggs from the cochin hens to an incubator.

So once again...

eggs started in an incubator: 6 out of 11 developing = 55% developing rate

eggs started under broody hens: 11 out of 13 developing = 85% developing rate

From here on out, I'll be starting my mandarin duck eggs under broody hens for the first week or so.

I just hatched out 4/6 with 1 more pipped.
wee.gif
The other 4 were just moved to the brooder.

Good Luck with yours scott!

My two mandarin eggs are in lockdown and they both look good. Plus I have a mandie sitting on a clutch that I plan to take pretty soon.

P.S. I just had a ringed teal hatch!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom