Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Quote:
I just got my Gazette in the mail last week and I was scared to open it!!

My question where can I find some Comb ducks??
tongue.png

My buffleheads didn;t lay this year but the hens are young, keeping my fingers crossed for next year...

Buffeheads don't lay until the second year, and if your Smew layed you shouldn't have a problem getting the Buffleheads to lay. Just have to wait for the hens to mature.

I am confused can you own buffeheads in the US

Quote:
Buffeheads don't lay until the second year, and if your Smew layed you shouldn't have a problem getting the Buffleheads to lay. Just have to wait for the hens to mature.

I am confused can you own buffeheads in the US

Yes, they are just another north american migratory duck. All the standard forms and permits apply just like wood ducks etc.

yes you can own any type of duck goose or swan you want as long as the 3-186 transfer forms are past on to you from a licesned breeder. No you can not go out and collect your own.

as for the comb duck....Lord why do you want one of them...LOL
That's going to be a Sylvan Heights thing though, they are the only ones I know of that have them breeding in captivity. Also you know they are massive right.

Quote:
That's right,
There are countless breeders of ALL species of migratory wateroflw here in the US. NO need to import, even from Canada it's horrible.
Subscribe to the Game bird Breeder's Gazette, or the A.P.W.S ( American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society) magazines, this is all they do, waterfowl and game birds. Back pages of every issue is loaded with classified ads for waterfowl all over th country. Buffle heads are $500 a pair now just so you know

I just got my Gazette in the mail last week and I was scared to open it!!

My question where can I find some Comb ducks??
tongue.png

My buffleheads didn;t lay this year but the hens are young, keeping my fingers crossed for next year...

yep like waterdog said, most all the divers, especially the golden eye and buffle head have to be two at the min, some of mine over the years went 4 before they laying fertile eggs. Dont give up. Like they said if your smew did good, buffleheads should too

Well, today my little white Mandarin hen hatched out her second clutch this season. She hatched 9 again this time. I think she's earned her keep this season. 18 ducklings from one hen.

Quote:
I found Comb Ducks.. and I am on the List, not Sylvan Heights.... I need a new hobby because this one is becoming expensive.

Now to find a breeder age bufflehead hen since I just lost one of mine. but my two little smews and two mergansers (weird how I ended up with 2 of each) are doing good. and I have found somewhere (same place as the Combs) that I can get them mates... Now if only my permit would come in...

and like I need more birds but I have founda really good deal on Trios of Barrows Goldeneye but how well do they do in Trios? My pair never leave each other side.

Back
Top Bottom