Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Quote:
Aw so cute. I am in the process of making a duck run. I have a hen on eggs now. The above ground pen has 1" hard wire as the floor. It is not flexable in anyway like chicken wire. Can they get through that? Trying to get everything done before they hatch. Thanks

I would be afraid that 1" wire is still big enough for them to fit through easily that first week....I don't know though...since it is the floor and they're with their Mama..Is there any way to put something down on it- like hay/straw/plywood for the first week?

Quote:
Sure never gave that a thought. Straw.. do they stray even with mom around..as they will be raised with her. Thanks for your help.

Great pics. Yes they will shoot tru 1 in chicken wire easily for the first week or two. They do stay with mom for the most part but if you dont have at least 11/2 high or higher of some kind of 1/4 inch wire(also called hardware cloth btw) they will shoot in and out of your pen and may get lost once outside. I went with a 3 feet high roll of the plastic hardware cloth I bought at lowes.I cut that in half so it is 1/12 feet high and then attach to my chicken wire on the inside of the pen with zip ties.( black uv resistant ones) it is very affordable with the plastic wire as opposed to the galvinized.

I found 1 little baby mandarin dead on the pen floor this am...almost think it was little Mr Photogenic..he'd waddle out like a little penguin and plop down and fall asleep out almost in the open part of the pen (all the while Mom was squawking for him to come back to her.) Wonder if he strayed too far, if one of the other Mandies pecked him, or if something was wrong with him...poor little baby.
hit.gif

on another note- I came home from grocery shopping to find this in one of the bushes along side our porch!!!

so I called and texted frantically the head Cat guy at our local shelter (who I foster cats and kittens for) and he happens to be a reptile expert and collector. He came and got it and took it away to be a species ID animal at the shelter. Ughhhhhh Black Racer Snake...good buy! He said to not be surprised if I see another one in the next couple of days...it's mate. blegh!

Don't I have enough to worry about? Baby mandarins, 3 viable eggs out of 18 and none pipped yet, but it is only day 19...a 65 lb dog who is sick to his tummy and keeps having diahrea inside when I am outside? What a day!

I found 1 little baby mandarin dead on the pen floor this am...almost think it was little Mr Photogenic..he'd waddle out like a little penguin and plop down and fall asleep out almost in the open part of the pen (all the while Mom was squawking for him to come back to her.) Wonder if he strayed too far, if one of the other Mandies pecked him, or if something was wrong with him...poor little baby.
hit.gif

on another note- I came home from grocery shopping to find this in one of the bushes along side our porch!!!

so I called and texted frantically the head Cat guy at our local shelter (who I foster cats and kittens for) and he happens to be a reptile expert and collector. He came and got it and took it away to be a species ID animal at the shelter. Ughhhhhh Black Racer Snake...good buy! He said to not be surprised if I see another one in the next couple of days...it's mate. blegh!

Don't I have enough to worry about? Baby mandarins, 3 viable eggs out of 18 and none pipped yet, but it is only day 19...a 65 lb dog who is sick to his tummy and keeps having diahrea inside when I am outside? What a day!

Sorry about your baby mandarin.
hugs.gif

How long after covering the eggs with down do the females start sitting on the eggs? As the eggs were covered yesterday but she hasn't started incubating yet.

Sorry to hear Lisa. May it get better for you.
hugs.gif
.Congrats on the new babies momo. I only have a pair of manderins as of now. They had six kids. I will try and post some pics. Welcome to BYC yeldman. It will be around 28 days after she starts setting. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom