Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
I've been searching online for when the male mandarin gets his mating plumage without any luck. My male has started getting more "colorful" and I'm wondering if this is typical.

Also, the white female I have has not shown any interest in the nesting box. Is that typical for this time of the year and will she only show interest in the spring when she starts laying?

On a related note, I set up a web-cam on them so I can see them in the background while I'm at work. Yeah, I've completely lost my mind on these things.
smile.png

I've been searching online for when the male mandarin gets his mating plumage without any luck. My male has started getting more "colorful" and I'm wondering if this is typical.

Also, the white female I have has not shown any interest in the nesting box. Is that typical for this time of the year and will she only show interest in the spring when she starts laying?

On a related note, I set up a web-cam on them so I can see them in the background while I'm at work. Yeah, I've completely lost my mind on these things. :)

My drake just came out of his eclipse plumage and got his pretty feathers back. This yrs hatch drakes are slowly getting their colors and look awful right now...poor things lol!
Your hen won't care about the nest box until spring when she starts looking for a nest site. I'm going to take mine out for winter to keep them from getting so weathered from the snow. :)

My drake just came out of his eclipse plumage and got his pretty feathers back. This yrs hatch drakes are slowly getting their colors and look awful right now...poor things lol!
Your hen won't care about the nest box until spring when she starts looking for a nest site. I'm going to take mine out for winter to keep them from getting so weathered from the snow.
smile.png
Thanks a ton for your answers. It is nice to know that before long I can stop showing people pictures of my drake and following it with "... but this is what he WILL look like" and showing them a picture from online.
lol.png
Good idea on taking the nest box out, although with ours under our deck it shouldn't get much exposure to snow so I might just leave it since the mandies love standing/sleeping on top of it. The drake is getting better looking by the day.

Back
Top Bottom