Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
My husband and I just got our pair of mandarins a few weeks ago.  They are really cool little ducks that I love to just watch.  

My husband built them a pen last week and also a nesting box, but I was wondering 1) How high off the ground does it need to be and 2) do we need to add any sort of netting on the inside or out to help them get in or out of it?

A strip of wire cloth or wire mesh on inside 1/2 inch square i use gives them a grip to get out.
Are the ducks pioned ? If so they need a ramp up to the nest box.
Height off ground for pioned mandarins in a secure pen to entrance hole i use about 18 inches from ground to hole.

We just snipped their flight feathers. And this helps a lot cause my husband has it about 4ft off the ground lol. So we will have to fix that

Hello I love y'alls ducks!!! I have been looking for some woods and mandies!!! I would love to add some to my flock:) does any one know of anyone who sells them and can ship them to Lubbock Texas??

Last edited:

......Are the ducks pioned ? ......

I have heard of this is this like clipping? What does it all intell? Is it as visible as clipping(as in does it dishape/take color from the wing when in the folded position) How is it permanent?

I pinion my ducklings at around 3/4 days old,it is when you cut wing in a certain place and is permanent,it's only visible on an adult bird when wings are out stretched,it does not affect colouring in the ducks

I pinion my ducklings at around 3/4 days old,it is when you cut wing in a certain place and is permanent,it's only visible on an adult bird when wings are out stretched,it does not affect colouring in the ducks

Oo well thank you for that information:)

Back
Top Bottom