Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
If the female continues pacing and doesn't like either nest box will she just lay her eggs on the floor to get rid of them, just eventually use one as there's nowhere better or not lay eggs at all? I have seen them mating, does anyone know if they can just not make eggs or will she lay anyway? Cheers

I checked the 2nd nestbox a little while ago and there is a Mandarin egg in there! I so hope it is one from the white mandarin, so if there are more in the next few days, I'll add this one egg I found on the ground in their pen to the nest...
fl.gif

If the female continues pacing and doesn't like either nest box will she just lay her eggs on the floor to get rid of them, just eventually use one as there's nowhere better or not lay eggs at all? I have seen them mating, does anyone know if they can just not make eggs or will she lay anyway? Cheers

I think she'll lay anyways. Hope you get eggs. :)

One of my mandarin girls is sitting on eggs.. I have no idea how many, or even how long she has been sitting.. I noticed her in the box 21 days ago... soooo.... im assuming I will have babies in the near future... What is the incubation time for mandy eggs?? There is also another hen laying eggs in another box.. I was going to pull them a few days ago, but when I reached in, they were warm so im hoping she is in the beginning stages of setting so I left them..
I also put another box in there for the third hen, hoping she will use it...

IF I get babies hatched, should I leave them with the parents? It is a small pen . it is about an 8 x 10 with 3 pairs in it...I know its small, but we had severe flooding and where I had planned on putting their new permanent pen flooded as well... Then they started laying and I didnt want to disturb them with moving them once again...

Pull the eggs before they hatch and hand raise them. They usually do not do well being parent raised in a small enclosure with other birds. Anticipate high mortality if you leave them.

You can pull the eggs after they pip. Don't wait for the ducklings to hatch as you'll risk imprinting on the mother and very skittish ducklings.

DT

Ok.. If I pull them, what temps do I need for the incubator?? Like all the rest? 99.5? Any tips on getting them to eat?? Ive heard all sorts of things about how hard it is to get them to eat.. that they need to be dropped, to simulate jumping from the nest, etc...

No, no, no. They dropped mandarins and wood ducks 100 years ago. Order a bag of mazuri duck starter online, offer it in a dish near the water and sprinkled in the water itself. Don't kiss/ snuggle/ play with them. Keep them calm, quiet and secure. They can climb well for the first few days- use mesh or screen to keep them in.

If you pull when they're pipped run your incubator at 98.0 - 99.0 with a. 60-80% humidity. You don't have to be that precise that late in incubation- just don't overheat them or let them dry out.

DT

Back
Top Bottom