Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Oh dear, one got caught in some wire today and I had to cut it out with wire cutters. But it had a small amount of blood up in the inner thigh area and now its got a massive limp and sits whenever possible. Do you reckon it will heal up?

Hatched 5 white mandarins and 5 regular!:) Hoping they all live. They seem to be eating and drinking well. The first one I hatched is still with the chicks and thinks I'm mommy....I'm hoping it always likes me and let's me pet it. Oh and they love the meal worms!

Hatched 5 white mandarins and 5 regular!
smile.png
Hoping they all live. They seem to be eating and drinking well. The first one I hatched is still with the chicks and thinks I'm mommy....I'm hoping it always likes me and let's me pet it. Oh and they love the meal worms!
Wow! Congrats! I do not even have that many white ducklings yet. I am glad you ended up with a split drake.

My mandarin hen hatched out three not regular ducklings. One is probably white, my silver silver wood duckling, then the other one could be a white wood duck and I simply do not know since I have not raised them or platinum. One duck breeder said that could result from silver and apricot paired together... Will see what happens. I am letting the hens raise the babies, and no ducklings have died yet. The few I brooder raised all survived but one white one.

What duck is in the top right corner of the first picture? Looks different.

I found out that odd ducklings was a white wood duck but it just died not too long ago...

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Blue!
Ya I forgot to mention...I also had 2 butterscotch call ducklings hatch :) They are great teachers on showing the Mandys how to eat and drink.
I'm worried about one of my white ones...it looks like yolk coming out of its navel. It was fine last night and this morning, but I have never seen any thing like this...any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have never seen anything like that either... Do you have any pictures? Maybe casportpony (Kathy) will know something about that? I hope it survives.

I have never seen anything like that either...  Do you have any pictures?  Maybe casportpony (Kathy) will know something about that?  I hope it survives.

It didn't make it :( I'm thinking it musta had issues all along, but it seemed great up until. I lost 2 white ducklings yesterday. Another never had good strength...I had to help it out of its shell. But the other 8 are still doing good.

Sorry about your losses... When I first hatched white ones I didn't have much luck. I recommend letting the hen raise them. They will have a much better chance of survival. The ones that are meant to die (like the white wood duck) will die.

Back
Top Bottom