Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
I'm starting my own aviary of ornamental waterfowl and I was wondering how small should the wholes be in the netting I'm putting over it so the small birds like wood ducks and mandarins can't get through

Hi all!! I'm new to Mandarins, supposed to be getting my pair in less than 2 wks!
@mattperth I was wondering ...Did the pair in this pic use the log to nest? I love the way it's so natural looking...and FREE!
celebrate.gif

Also anyone have suggestions on diet mix? Sage Advice?
old.gif
( please be nice) I'm keeping them in with a trio of Red Golden Pheasants. 8x12x10 Chinese Theme fully planted aviary.

Love this thread! Its so great seeing everyone's beautiful Mandarins and enclosures!

I have a wonderful pair of Mandarins that hatched out very late in the season, on the last days of August this year. Making them around 4ish months old and starting to show some adult feathers.They are the product of an unrelated group, 3 hens and two drakes. The group layed early in the year (march), and the males had already lost color when unexpectedly, two of the hens layed clutches in the first days of August!

So, A few questions for all of you raising Mandarins...

What are the typical moulting/laying cycles(months) for your birds where you live?
Since my pair hatched so late in the year, and are a bit off schedule. .. I'm curious as to when they will finish moulting, and if an Attempt to breed might come late in 2015... or if they will skip the first year and have a go the next?

I've had mandarins years ago in Colorado, but this will be my first time raising them in Texas.
They are the most tame and personable pair I've ever owned! Getting them as ducklings has made a huge difference in how calm they are.

Here are a few older pictures of them as ducklings. The one had almost white down in places that would normally be yellow. You can see the difference quite clearly side by side. The normal colored duckling is the male, oddball is the hen. So far the hen has colored up with typical juvenile feathers.

They were only in this tiny tank for transport, not a brooder! :)

Back
Top Bottom