Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Ok, so I saw bolth females go in the same nesting box and there are already a few eggs in there. is normal?

Okay so an even more unexpected move on getting my mandarin(s), one of my ducks got really sick and i took her to the emergency vet, so thank God she is doing much better, God really answered my prayers and others prayers for my baby girl to get better. But this means i will have to wait even longer probably to get my mandarin duckling, though getting one is not the top priority right now.

Also i called my guy, (Ray Perry) and he said they were actually $125 dollars per pair, unsexed whites. And i asked him about only getting one and he said he would talk about it with me in person, I'm expecting because nobodies asked for just 1 before :/, and i would be willing to pay maybe a little over half for one, just so it could seem about fair. But again this will probably be in the middle of summer, not next week as planned.

Also we're setting up our aviary! its gonna be great, i would to see pictures of peoples' on here to give me some ideas. What plants should i add? The aviary is big enough to have a medium size tree in it, so what kind should we put in? I was thinking a redbud tree maybe?

Last edited:
I only want one bc i don't want them to breed, i just wanted a mandarin for a pet which is why i wanted a baby, but i learned that they don't have a high chance of living if you get them when they're babies. One of my older friends has 3 mandarins and they are super sweet and want to be handled all the time, so that just kind of made me want one, but they're all girls so no babies and she doesn't hasn't bred or sold anything for years on top of that. I saw how affectionate they could be and that made me really want one. They were about as affectionate as my muscovies so yeah. Thats pretty much my reason, i learned from this thread though that they are super hard to raise and very difficult to tame but i'm always up for a challenge. I mean yes i know its probably not gonna love me right away and we're going to have a happy ending, i know its gonna take work especially since (if) i'm buying as a juvenile.

It will have other ducks of course, and i probably will get a pair but get 2 girls if anything but he doesn't sex them so its gonna be difficult picking them out since they are gonna be just juveniles and not in there full plumage

Last edited:
Okay so an even more unexpected move on getting my mandarin(s), one of my ducks got really sick and i took her to the emergency vet, so thank God she is doing much better, God really answered my prayers  and others prayers for my baby girl to get better. But this means i will have to wait even longer probably to get my mandarin duckling, though getting one is not the top priority right now.

Also i called my guy, (Ray Perry) and he said they were actually $125 dollars per pair, unsexed whites. And i asked him about only getting one and he said he would talk about it with me in person, I'm expecting because nobodies asked for just 1 before :/, and i would be willing to pay maybe a little over half for one, just so it could seem about fair. But again this will probably be in the middle of summer, not next week as planned.

Also we're setting up our aviary! its gonna be great, i would to see pictures of peoples' on here to give me some ideas. What plants should i add? The aviary is big enough to have a medium size tree in it, so what kind should we put in? I was thinking a redbud tree maybe? 

Sorry about your sick duck :( The guy with the mandarins probably wants you to get at least 2 ducklings because they do so much better with a buddy. I did have an "only" hatch a week before another batch last year. BUT he had a chicken chick buddy I put in with it so it would learn how to eat and drink ok. If you get one by itself....just be prepared it will cry all the time. I've heard people put stuffed animals in with single babies to help. But you'd have to make sure it couldn't tear off and eat anything off it. I ended up with 7 babies last year. They were all raised together and all came running for my meal worm treats and took them from my hand....it was when I put them in a bigger pen outside they reverted to being more wild when they were about 4-5 weeks old. If I would've kept one by itself at this time I'm wondering it it would have stayed tamer? So, good luck. I just hope you don't spend a lot of money for a single and then it dies on you. :(

Sorry about your sick duck
sad.png
The guy with the mandarins probably wants you to get at least 2 ducklings because they do so much better with a buddy. I did have an "only" hatch a week before another batch last year. BUT he had a chicken chick buddy I put in with it so it would learn how to eat and drink ok. If you get one by itself....just be prepared it will cry all the time. I've heard people put stuffed animals in with single babies to help. But you'd have to make sure it couldn't tear off and eat anything off it. I ended up with 7 babies last year. They were all raised together and all came running for my meal worm treats and took them from my hand....it was when I put them in a bigger pen outside they reverted to being more wild when they were about 4-5 weeks old. If I would've kept one by itself at this time I'm wondering it it would have stayed tamer? So, good luck. I just hope you don't spend a lot of money for a single and then it dies on you.
sad.png
i don't know if this will help the case of it being alone but, i have some muscovies on the way and around the time they hatch i should be getting the mandarin, but the mandarin(s) will be juveniles so i don't know if that will help them by seeing other ducks look to me as mom, or even help them trust me.

i don't know if this will help the case of it being alone but, i have some muscovies on the way and around the time they hatch i should be getting the mandarin, but the mandarin(s) will be juveniles so i don't know if that will help them by seeing other ducks look to me as mom, or even help them trust me. 

Oh, I thought you were getting a new hatchling. I don't know how it'll do at that age. Just be patient when it comes to making it "like" you. They freak out really easy. It'll learn to trust you. Mine come running when I bring treats :) They won't let me touch them, but when I walk around the pen they aren't scared.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom