Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
At what age will my mandarins start laying eggs? I got them 2 months ago and they were 11 months when I got them so they are 13 months now. Do I need a nesting box for them to lay in or will they just lay in the shaving?
mandarins are typically first year birds but since you have only had them for two months they probobly won't lay. I got my widgeons in January and they never laid hopefully next year they will tho

Do mandarins and wood ducks get along well together? I'm suspecting so since they are in the same genus just different species. 
Most duck get along with each other. Woodies mandarins ruddys mergansers all do great together! You usually have to watch the shelducks mostly people only keep the commons and the Australians in a community pen. Sheld geese are a big no no(Andean Magellan Orinoco) but normal geese are ok usually (red breasted bar head snow). Tree ducks are great, but the eytons and Cubans you have to watch. Buffle heads do good but the golden eyes are very territorial. So you need a big pen for those.

thanks for telling me
smile.png

One of my males are angel wing and I just have a ramp, and it is closer to the ground that my other one.

I will be pulling my eggs from my hen a few days before hatch and put in incubator to hatch. I'm going to get Mazuri waterfowl starter and get them going in a brooder. In my research this is the most recommended way and the duckling needing to fall or drop long distances in order to eat a wives tale BUT if I am wrong I would be more than happy to be corrected.

The ducklings do not need to be dropped or anything to eat...it's a myth. Good thing is that the mazuri waterfowl starter floats so you can sprinkle some on water. Also mealworms and live food will get their attention to get them eating. Marbles in their waterer will get their attention as well and cause them to want to peck at the water.

Back
Top Bottom