Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Its sad to hear things like that, Matapatos, sorry for your losses. I've heard to many horror stories like this that has made up my mind to never let the hens raise them. Too many factors that can go wrong.

Sorry, I need to clarify. I had 9 hatch yesterday morning, all 9 were present this morning, down to 4 this afternoon, and down to only 1 tonight... 1 out of 9. Sad deal, but I did learn that I need to pull them and raise them in a safer pen. Wish I didn't need to learn it this way, but learn it I did.

ohhhh too sad! Sorry I didn't get it last night.
roll.png

I lost 3 of mine when I was going to let their Mama raise them in the pen. We were right there, fortunately, when it was happening, so we were able to grab the other 5. Won't do that again either....sometimes we have to learn the hard way, firsthand, and then know why others tell us what they do. I thought I'd be ok...guess not! Hang in there and try, try again.
Lisa

yep, sorry to hear that. But that's why I always tell people not to let them hatch in the pen, and not to mother raise them. They can climb right over any wire too, so if you had 1/4 inch hardware cloth 3 foot up the bottom, they can still climb right over it. Just too many variables to kill them out of a brooder.
Hoping for better luck for you on the next ones! But everyone please listen up, pull them the last week, incubate to the finish , and brood... yes it would look cute to see them all on the pond and hen raised, but just start going back over this thread and the migratory waterfowl thread and read how many have tried that, and their end results... just doesnt work 9 times out of 10 they will die, get killed, or get out and disapear

Last edited:
Aubrey!!!! My mandarins had babies!!!

21 eggs, 20 fertile, 20 hatched, 18 lived - seems that mom found a reason to scalp 2 of them - it was awful - why would she do this???? I was watching the boxes like a hawk that last week, and picked them up as they were hatching - first clutch hatched on May 25th and the second on May 27th. The 18 that made it are perfect and doing awesome - just as cute as they can be! The parents seem to resent me now that I've taken their babies tho - will they come back around?

Anyone within driving distance of Maryland interested in baby mandies?? I've got 12 left that need homes, but its WAY too hot to ship...

that's great to hear. Doubt the mom did it, unless you saw her do it, sounds like males picking them, or a mouse or something, never seen a hen hurt one of her own. But yes as far as the being mad at you thing, you feel more guilty than they care, LOL
They'll come back around in a few days.
congrats on the hatch though!!

Quote:
Coulda been dad, no mice that I'm aware of. I'm glad to hear the parents will come around - after 2 years of trying to gain their trust, I had finally made some progress, and their resentment has been pretty disappointing!!! They hide from me now, and if I go looking for them, they FREAK!!!! But thanks for all the info you've posted here in the forums, and gave to me privately last year - couldn't have done it without ya!!!

Forgot to tell you, 2 of these little buggers got out of the brooder in the garage - sorry, there is no video footage, but it took both me and my husband over an hour to catch them both!!! Man, they're FAST!!!!

While I'm here, just thought I'd share some pics:

20890_305.jpg

20890_003.jpg

20890_033.jpg

20890_308.jpg

20890_262.jpg

Last edited:
Yep... Won't do that again. The reason I wanted to do it that way was for the ease of not having to build a brooder, get them eating, water them, feed them. I thought they would be like chickens, all huddled around mom and listening to her every chirp and call. Not so! These little dudes have minds of their own and will run everywhere! Cute little suckers, but I guess I'll have to build a brooder. What happens, happens! Good luck to the rest of you! I'll prob have to wait for next year to get some more mandarins, but I have a wood duck setting some eggs now... I gotta get to the hardware store and pick up some plywood now!
smile.png

Travis

where are you located? We could trade Mandies for Woodies if you live close enough to me!

Back
Top Bottom