Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
I got 4 new ducks at the most recent swap meet. These are the ones I got. This is their temporary pen until I can finish their permanent one. The pic of the whites is when they were in their transport cage. The names for the normal colored mandarins (i think they are normal colored ones) are Disco and Channel. The white ones are named Something Special and Black Widow. The whites are my fav. so far. The white male is a funny little bird lol. This is my first time ever owning mandarins...any advice?

Does anyone keep wood ducks and mandarins together?
i have a pair of each that have been together before but just dont seem to get on

I keep them and all of our waterfowl togeher. During breeding season they will pick on each other but normally they are pretty good.

I would advise strongly against it. Mallard derived breeds (which is all the domestics except muscovies) and well muscovies too for that matter, are extremely aggressive breeders. While they may get along ok, they will bully the males and mix breed with anything and everything. Not worth messing up an entire breeding season for the sake of having some $5-$10 barnyard ducks in with these

yeah he seems to have a bit of an attitude, they are seperated now as my wood ducks are on eggs,

if the eggs hatch what should i do with the male?
she seems very happy for him to be there while she is sitting but dont know what to do when they hatch ?? i personally wouldn't trust him with the ducklings but am not sure what role he should play in it all and i cant find any info on the net.

thanks

You can just leave him in if you want. He wont hurt the babies.But I never had one help neither. Mom generally is the caretaker of them.

I have 1 pair normal Mandarin and 1 pair normal Wood ducks in a 12ft x 12ft pen together. I found the mandarin hen setting on some eggs so I left her be. Went out to see how things were progressing (about 27 days later) and found one of the eggs pipped. Their pen is chain link and I was afraid the babied would escape so I pulled the eggs and put them in my hatcher. I gave her treats because I felt so bad about taking the eggs, she was NOT happy. The 3 eggs hatched today and two are YELLOW and one is normal colored. Could they be whites?

The yellow ones are whites. The other is just a normal baby. In a chain length fence the babies would have gotten out so good call on taken them

The yellow ones are whites. The other is just a normal baby. In a chain length fence the babies would have gotten out so good call on taken them
They are so sweet! I have them in a rubbermaid tub and they could jump out if not for the screen I have on top! I have seen them drinking but not eating yet. I've dipped bills in water and food, sprinkled food on the bottom. I haven't "dropped" them, do I really need to?
ep.gif
They seem happy, no excessive peeping at all. They also seem to have "red" eyes. Closely they may be blue but reflect red. A little creepy....

Back
Top Bottom