Manx Cats

SunnyCalifornia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Escondido CA
My husband recently found a female Manx cat in the neighborhood, purportedly abandoned by her former owners. I believe she may be pregnant. She was VERY hungry and has been eating voraciously, her abdomen is firm and full, and her "teets" pink and noticeable. She's not too active, though she looks to be young. Sweet friendly little cat. I'm calling her "Magic".

I was reading that the "Tail-less" gene is dominant, so if she is pregnant, I'm guessing that most kittens will look like her?

What do you all know about Manx cats?

I don't know if it's supposed to dominant or not, but my Manx had more tailed kittens than tailess in the four or five litters she had.

I enjoyed them a lot. She and 2 of her daughters all died from mammery cancers. Her daughters were both spayed and never had kittens or heat cycles so I think the cancers were definately heridatary.I still have one of her daughters and shes about 15 now....she has a tail.

Because of how their rear ends are built sometimes their muscles back there don't work very well and they have problems with poopy behinds. The shorter the tail the more likely they are to have problems.

They are a fun breed tho.

not all tailess cats are manx. There is a gene that causes taillesness in manx and a different one that causes random taillesness. i dotn recall if or how to tell the difference though, but I bet a manx breeder or the breed club could tell you. Try the Cat Fanciers Assoc.

Also, you might want to get her into the vet ASAP and get her spayed if she isnt due right away. There are soooo many kittens looking for homes that unless you plan to keep them all, it may be better not to have them at all.

I agree. See if you can find a low cost clinic and have her spayed ASAP. Sometimes tailless animals will have issues with things like a fused pelvis and she may not even be able to give birth on her own at all. Not knowing her history it is safest for her to not have to deliver the litter. I know this is an issue in tailess rats and I am pretty sure tailess cats can have the same problem. Breeding them to have no tail can effect both the lenght and shape of the spine as well as the shape of the hips.

Last edited:
So you guys are suggesting taking her in and having the kittens killed? I'm all about spaying cats and reducing the population but that seems a little disgusting. Chances are if the kittens are born with no tails or very short tails she will have no problem finding them homes.

Quote:
Umm..yeah, I am suggesting that. If she's far along, then no, but if it's early on and you arent even sure, I say take her in and tell the vet not to tell you if she was preggers. Sure, her cute little tailless kittens might find homes easily, but now those five homes are taken and five other kittens will die because they dont have homes.

manx cats come from the isle of man. they are born with no tail, screw tail, or short tails. there are more genetic defects when you breed short to short or no tail to no tail. its better to breed to a long tail with manx ancestry. some of the characteristics are short bodies, round heads, and usually the hind legs are longer than the front. they are very social cats. they like to eat a lot. they do have poopy butt.

i have had manx cats for years. my first was a rescue from the side of the road. she would protect her kittens for any predator. one time she even joined in when my dogs were trying to run off strays. it was funny to see this little tiny fur ball joining in a brawl with 4 60 + dogs.

p.s. most vets will not spay a very prego cat, because of the bleeding. if they still have to, they will charge a arm and a leg.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for all the info. I will take her in for an evaluation by a vet.
If she is pregnant, then I'll have her spayed as soon as her kittens are weaned. I appreciate all the concerns for the kitty. I will not be as careless as her former owner, and let an unspayed cat continue to have litters. I do believe that to be very irresponsible.

Chickens are so much easier!!! To incubate, or not to incubate!! Solve the problem right then and there!
idunno.gif

Ive had manx for years. I love them. They come with out tails(rumpies) with stumps(stumpies) and tailed. The rumpies have the most trouble with prolapsed rectums and nerve damage resulting in chronic diarhea or pelvic issues. Good on you for taking the abandoned cat in. After her kittens are weaned do take her in for a spay as manx often do have trouble with delivering. Im sure you will find them all good homes. Manx are pretty cool. They are often dog like, mine all walked on a leash and harness really well. They are good mousers and often learn to fetch. Its one of my favorite breeds and is fairly popular with people because of their nice temperment which means you will probably have no trouble finding homes for the kittens.

Back
Top Bottom