Maran Assortment coming soon...Newbie needs help

Apparently I was crazy when I thought they were moving. We cracked into them today and every single one had nothing but yolk slide out. Don't think I'll buy from that lady again. I also don't know that I'll incubate again. If rather just spend the money on chicks, now I just need to hope I can find someone local with some. Shipping to AK is ridonkulous.

Apparently I was crazy when I thought they were moving. We cracked into them today and every single one had nothing but yolk slide out. Don't think I'll buy from that lady again. I also don't know that I'll incubate again. If rather just spend the money on chicks, now I just need to hope I can find someone local with some. Shipping to AK is ridonkulous.
Sarah don't give up...It is a tuff time when that happens,,I have had several this yr end that way myself..Just save your cash and try again....
thumbsup.gif

Hey mattsinger:  Well I guess we can chalk it up to another life lesson!  Is that a blue or a black Copper Marans?  Sure is cute anyways!  My little deformed peep is actually doing well, I was thinking I'd have to cull it, but so far he's loud and lively!  He's running around looking for me (out of his one eye ;) ) I've taught him how to eat and drink so he's able to do that on his own, he sure is ugly!!!! But, he has certainly found his way into our hearts!  I've already got another 8 assortments in the bator on day 5, hope for better odds this time.

Ive been told its a blue copper.
Glad to hear old one eye is getting around cine. If that's the only issue.. it might just be fine

Spoke with someone on the Kenai Penninsula. She's coming up to the Valley next weekend and will be bringing five month old chicks (hopefully all pullets) up for me. Hopefully they can be what I'm looking for.

Wow what a harrowing time it has been for the 3 of you with your Maran's incubation.

I have just put 6 in a bator this morning - French Wheaten Marans (the only type available here in Oz, very rare too) I have to say, that I am hoping for a more positive outcome than you all had. I said a prayer for each of my little brown babies as they went in. Cause it sounds like that's all I can do! Some things have to be left up to mother nature I guess.

It is the first time I have incubated and I know I didn't pick the easiest of breeds to start with. Apparently because of their very thick shell it can be harder for them to break out of, than white or tan shells. But of course if the egg isn't fertile to start with that's irrelevant.

This link is an interesting read on hatching Marans; http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/incubating-maran-eggs/4541610539

Better luck next time!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom