Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

When is it safe to cull chicks for vulture hock? One line of chicks I am brooding have a heavy LP influence and Brenda Little discloses this as a recessive gene that has cropped up in her line. The breeder says he assumes this is why the vulture hock has showed up in my chicks. So far there are 3 that look like they may be developing the trait.. one more so than the others. The breeder recommends I grow them out a little longer to make sure but to me the vulture hock is obvious and I dont want to waste any more feed on undesirable birds.

At what age do u all cull chicks with vulture hock if it is encountered?

Here are pics of one of the roos showing what looks like vulture hock. They are like 3 weeks old.

I am fairly new to chickens. I picked up 4 Marans this afternoon and wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what I brought home (as far as color) or if it was too soon to tell. I have 2 that are 5.5 weeks old. They look pretty much identical. Here is a picture of 1. Please excuse the wet feathers. They spilled their water. I also have 2 that are 1.5 weeks old. They look pretty much identical too. Here is a picture of 1. Thanks for your help! I want to call them the right breed/color.
The lighter ones are splash marans and the blacks could be black coppers or just black marans.

Thank you. I am starting to see copper on one of the black ones, so maybe one of each. I was hoping the babies were blue, but that is what i was thinking. What do chicks look like when blue Marans?

Thank you. I am starting to see copper on one of the black ones, so maybe one of each. I was hoping the babies were blue, but that is what i was thinking. What do chicks look like when blue Marans?

As chicks they look like they have a greyish down feathers and feather in a blueish grey color. Splash mated to black will yield black, blue, and splash chicks. If one is getting copper I would say they are both black copper. Some black copper hens can have very little copper in their hackles and look mostly black. Roosters get more copper.

Here are pics of one of the roos showing what looks like vulture hock. They are like 3 weeks old.

I am not an expert, but I have read that some chicks have what appears as vulture hock, but they grow out of it later on... I believe that was true about Cochin chicks, so not sure about that fact in relation to Marans....

I would cull. I haven't found that they grow out of it, and if it is appearing as a chick then they carry the genes. One of my LP had vulture hocks from a young age, and still has them as a hen in my egg flock.

I would cull. I haven't found that they grow out of it, and if it is appearing as a chick then they carry the genes. One of my LP had vulture hocks from a young age, and still has them as a hen in my egg flock.

I will most definitely cull any roos with vulture hock. If any pullets develop it I may keep them only as layers. So far there are 3 that look like may be devloping it.. all look to be roosters. Only one is obviously developing it.. the others arent feathered as well so I will keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom