Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hello! I am new to the Marans breed and seeking clarification on Splash Marans. Last summer I got “Blue Splash Marans” from Meyer Hatchery which I adore. I was looking into other breeders in search of higher quality chicks. I am confused now because I have seen both “Blue Splash Marans” as well as “Splash Copper Marans” are they one in the same? My original plan was to breed strictly splash Marans but now I’m worried they will eventually be diluted.

I currently breed Silverudds Blue in all colors; BBS. In order to get high contrast splash hens I can’t breed a splash to a splash. If “Blue Splash Marans” & “Splash Copper Marans” are in fact one in the same I think I will just add some Black & Blue Copper Marans to my pen of Splash.

Would love to hear any advice you may have! Thanks!
So depending on if you want silver based or copper based splashes, I'd think copper splash are red carriers for sure. I used silver based birds with my blues do they look a little different than the copper types.

This is a 20 week old BCM.

I am very new to chickens.

Would this Rooster be suitable in terms of APA standards to breed? I want to try hatching in the future. My goal isn’t show birds, but healthy chickens that conform to the standard.

Photos take in 2pm sunlight.

Attachments

• F58416A3-830B-45A4-9D90-25693BCBC3EF.png
    F58416A3-830B-45A4-9D90-25693BCBC3EF.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • AA49A38A-CA2A-434D-AADF-CF9FCBB6F3BC.jpeg
    AA49A38A-CA2A-434D-AADF-CF9FCBB6F3BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 2D581E80-97F2-4162-AE41-352DAC7DCD6B.png
    2D581E80-97F2-4162-AE41-352DAC7DCD6B.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Hello, I have the opportunity to maybe get some white or black copper maran hatching eggs. I was wondering if the black are better layers than the white? I’ve never had Marans and would love to add them to my flock for their egg color. I would prefer the white because I have lots of black feather birds already. (I love an assortment of feather and egg color!) :weeso the white would be my first choice for feather color for variety but my birds have to pull their weight haha. Although I would love to have a flock just for fun I do want to add very good layers. Just a quick search I did said that the BCM lay more eggs per year than the White but thought I would ask you folks and see what you thought. Thanks! :)

So depending on if you want silver based or copper based splashes, I'd think copper splash are red carriers for sure. I used silver based birds with my blues do they look a little different than the copper types.

splash copper will have some red leakage on they plumage ,some will more red than others .
Silver Splash should be free from any red leakage ,
chooks man

This is a 20 week old BCM.

I am very new to chickens.

Would this Rooster be suitable in terms of APA standards to breed? I want to try hatching in the future. My goal isn’t show birds, but healthy chickens that conform to the standard.

Photos take in 2pm sunlight.

this cockerel has some lovely copper and free from any parasitic white ,good tail just a little higher , like his comb just need to be a little tidy .
chooks man

Hello, I have the opportunity to maybe get some white or black copper maran hatching eggs. I was wondering if the black are better layers than the white? I’ve never had Marans and would love to add them to my flock for their egg color. I would prefer the white because I have lots of black feather birds already. (I love an assortment of feather and egg color!) :weeso the white would be my first choice for feather color for variety but my birds have to pull their weight haha. Although I would love to have a flock just for fun I do want to add very good layers. Just a quick search I did said that the BCM lay more eggs per year than the White but thought I would ask you folks and see what you thought. Thanks! :)

depond where the stain come from ,some breeders have good white strain laying nice dark eggs ,very hard to find ,I think it is easier to find Black copper laying dark eggs , because there is many of them out there .
good luck.
chooks man

Hello, I’m pretty new to the breed, I ordered some eggs off ebay and hatched out 7. This listing said the chickens were of Greenfire farm lineage

Then ordered some at a local and hatched out 4. I wanted to avoid inbreeding.

The online chickens that hatched had a lot of variation. I read yellow feet is a flaw and culled but I would like to know what you thought of this rooster. He looks breeding quality to me.

Attachments

• 12F46819-D023-426F-9333-C99C6152F686.jpeg
    12F46819-D023-426F-9333-C99C6152F686.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 70FA5958-4E39-44FD-AEE5-0E8BC8B7D55B.jpeg
    70FA5958-4E39-44FD-AEE5-0E8BC8B7D55B.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 3
  • CD106912-F696-48C3-9D8F-68ECE5627811.jpeg
    CD106912-F696-48C3-9D8F-68ECE5627811.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 41CCAA5D-15D5-45D2-8ECE-01AA45DA9788.jpeg
    41CCAA5D-15D5-45D2-8ECE-01AA45DA9788.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello, I’m pretty new to the breed, I ordered some eggs off ebay and hatched out 7. This listing said the chickens were of Greenfire farm lineage

Then ordered some at a local and hatched out 4. I wanted to avoid inbreeding.

The online chickens that hatched had a lot of variation. I read yellow feet is a flaw and culled but I would like to know what you thought of this rooster. He looks breeding quality to me.

he has not copper on him .
can you post photos of other cockerels and pullets please . need to see them all .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom